Treating really sick hen, respiratory problems now mostly white diarrhea

Gizabelle

Crowing
Dec 30, 2018
North Florida
My hen Gracie has been "off" for a few weeks. I first noticed a runny nose and dirty butt a few weeks ago. I have a tiny flock of three and she was the only one showing symptoms. Last week she became lethargic so I brought her in for a few nights giving her a 3-night run of tylosin via water. I know now that it wasn't enough. She seemed to be miserable locked away from the other girls, so I let her out to FR as normal and put her back in with the medicated water at night. She seemed better after 3 days so I let her go back out to the coop.
Well, she looked (and sounded) near death yesterday so I brought her back in and gave her electrolytes via water. No change after a day (not eating, barely drinking, rattly breathing) so I decided to go back to the Tylosin as a last ditch effort. Her poops appear to be mostly urates, they look like white diarreha.

Just as I was heading to bed tonight, I heard her make a horrible sound: almost like a cough/gag/sneeze, I really don't know how to describe it, but it scared me so I went over and held up the water for her and she actually drank when prompted.
I've had medicated chick starter in there for her, but she hasn't touched it, so after the success with the water I was encouraged enough to go scramble an egg at midnight and she did eat a little when offered by hand. I saw other posts recommending apple sauce, but I had a little piece of plum on hand and she took just a few bites of that also.

A few other things of note... I noticed today more unusually white poops from my other girls. Not to the extent of Gracie's but it struck me as odd. I read somewhere that worms could cause the "white diarrhea" but I know Gracie has the respiratory thing going on also. Regardless, I have safegard on hand and could dose her if anyone thinks that might help. (and not interfere with the tylosin)
I have not dewormed the flock in months, and I live in a warm wet climate, so parasites could definitely be a contributing factor.

We also have REALLY hard well water. As in we go through 3 coffee pots a year AFTER filtering tap water. The animals all get straight well water... could this be part of the problem?

Lastly, we have goats and I have seen the girls try to scavenge leftovers. We use a mineral top dress, and they always leave a little behind in the pan.

The image below is the poop from earlier today that prompted the move back to Tylosin.
The other is right after her midnight snack tonight. She's such a pleasant little girl, I would really really hate to loose her.

Thanks so much for any help.

20200124_143939.jpg
20200125_001814.jpg

I don't have much to offer, but I would find it hard to believe that well water would be bad for your chickens. If it's safe for you to drink, I would think there would be no reason that your chickens could not drink it as well.

I don't understand why you are feeding your grown chickens medicated chick starter feed. Lots of people will not even feed medicated chick feed to chicks unless there is a need. As far as I know, grown chickens should be fed layer feed if they are laying eggs.

I would suggest restricting the chickens to a run and getting fresh, age appropriate, feed for your girls and see if that helps with the "white diarrhea." Restrict their intake to basic fresh water and good commercial feed, and maybe not give any treats or free range for a short while to see if things improve.

I live in northern Minnesota and have no idea about what parasites you might have to deal with in Florida. I hope someone will be able to offer more help than me and will be looking forward to other responses to your concern. Good luck.

My hen Gracie has been "off" for a few weeks. I first noticed a runny nose and dirty butt a few weeks ago
Last week she became lethargic so I brought her in for a few nights giving her a 3-night run of tylosin via water. I know now that it wasn't enough.
She seemed better after 3 days so I let her go back out to the coop.
I decided to go back to the Tylosin as a last ditch effort. Her poops appear to be mostly urates, they look like white diarreha.
I've had medicated chick starter in there for her, but she hasn't touched it, so after the success with the water I was encouraged enough to go scramble an egg at midnight and she did eat a little when offered by hand
A few other things of note... I noticed today more unusually white poops from my other girls. Not to the extent of Gracie's but it struck me as odd. I read somewhere that worms could cause the "white diarrhea" but I know Gracie has the respiratory thing going on also. Regardless, I have safegard on hand and could dose her if anyone thinks that might help. (and not interfere with the tylosin)
I would keep her on the Tylosin for 5 days, that needs to be the only source of water that she's drinking. 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. If she's not drinking well on her own, then I would syringe water into her every hour or so.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/
If possible, getting a fecal float would be a good idea to see if worms are part of the problem. If that's not possible, then worming her may be helpful. The white urates could be due to dehydration, but they are quite mucousy looking to me. We'll get @Eggcessive and @casportpony to take a look as well and give their thoughts.
Safeguard (Fendbendazole) can be used with Tylosin - if you want to worm her, then the dosage is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

The medicated feed won't hurt her if it the medication is Amprolium. Amprolium is a coccidiostat and only treats Coccidia. Commercial chick starter has a very small amount of Amprolium so it won't treat an outbreak.

You don't mention if she's laying eggs. When was the last egg? Any swelling of the abdomen? Also, even though she's not been eating/drinking well - is her crop emptying overnight?

As for your other hens, I would continue to get a good look at their poop. If you feel they need worming, then I would use the Safeguard at the same dosage and days as mentioned above.

Lastly (I keep thinking of things) look inside her beak for any signs of canker or white/yellow cheesy material just to make sure there's nothing going on there.

Thank you so much for the observations!
The chick feed was recommended as "booster" by a local keeper that I've sought advice from before. They are all on layer pellets normally, but she won't touch them in her current state. It was an effort to get her to eat something at all.
And yes, the poop is VERY mucousy. I didn't realize that myself until I tried to wash it away.

Last edited:
Sorry about your chicken. How old is she, and has she molted recently? Does she normally lay eggs, and how recent has she laid? (I just saw your recent answer after I posted.) The white in her poop is uric acid or kidney waste. It has nothing to do with worms, but large amounts in the droppings may be a sign of dehydration or a kidny issue. It would be great to find out what respiratory disease Rosie has. She might have infectious bronchitis (IB) or MG, but hard to know which without testing. MG usually responds to Tylan, but IB is a corona virus that it lasts about a month, and antibiotics cannot treat it. IB can cause reproductive and kidney problems. If you call your state vet they may suggest a way to get tested, and there are some commercial national labs that will test. Zoologix is one, and here is a link for both:
http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htmhttps://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Ok, that's kind of what I was suspecting... as the two other girls aren't showing respiratory symptoms, I was banking on bacterial. I know testing is the only way to be sure but I'm wondering if it's already too late... does that poop look like kidney distress or failure?

And no, I've never gotten eggs from her. She's about a year old, but never laid that I know of.
Also, she's looking much perkier this morning. Ate more eggs with much more interest.
Glad she is a bit perkier this morning.
If she's never laid eggs, then she also may have a reproductive problem. It's hard to know unless you happen to lose her and a necropsy is performed.

You are doing what you can for her, hopefully she will continue to improve.

Glad that she is eating better. Try to get her drinking well. No way to know if the large amount of urates is due to dehydration or kidney probs without expensive labs and vet care. It is unusualmthat she has not laid eggs. There are many different reproductive disorders that might be a problem. Whether the respiratory problem is viral or bacterial, she is infectious, but they have already been exposed, so I would leave her with her flock.

Back
Top Bottom