Treating Respiratory Problem

Fricasee

Songster
6 Years
Jun 6, 2014
Durango, Colorado
I have a hen who is at least five years old. She has been broody for months. I just let her have it and do not try to discourage her. This past weekend I went to the coop and noticed that her comb is pale and I can see that she has a clear discharge on her beak from her nostrils. She also sounds rattley in her breathing. It's bitterly cold so I fixed her up a spot in the house for her to warm up. I called around the farm supply places nearby and only one has any sort of antibiotic, and it's penicillin. I've watched some videos about giving an muscular injection and I am inexperienced but not afraid to try it. Is pencillian appropriate for her issue though? Looks like it might be more for treating a wounded bird? In the past I've tried the stuff you put in their water that smells sort of menthol and didn't find it to be helpful. I appreciate any advice or guidance. Thank you.

She sounds like she may have a respiratory infection, such as MG, and penicillin would not treat that. Something that would is Tylan (tylosin) and you can only get it online. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days, and you may get it here:
https://www.nepigeonsupplies.com/product/tylosin-powder/

I would be trying to break her from being broody, since it can really affect her health. She may also benefit from some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally once a day, to help boost her and treat anemia.

She is very persistent but I will try. Thank you for the info too. Would I be able to get the tylosin from my vet? I know you said only online, but I thought maybe it was just not "over the counter".

Your vet may have another antibiotic to give. Tylan has pretty much disappeared from feed stores, and it may even be hard for vets to getnow. Oxytetracycline, Denagard, and Baytril are some that vets may use. Most antibiotics are not approved for chickens, except Tylan (tylosin.)

She is very persistent but I will try. Thank you for the info too. Would I be able to get the tylosin from my vet? I know you said only online, but I thought maybe it was just not "over the counter".

Put her in a wire cage with food/water, no bedding, elevated so air moves under it. Unless you're hatching eggs, being broody can be harmful to their well being ... Learned the hard way.

2019 Chickens - Broody Jail.jpg

I have a hen who is at least five years old. She has been broody for months. I just let her have it and do not try to discourage her. This past weekend I went to the coop and noticed that her comb is pale and I can see that she has a clear discharge on her beak from her nostrils. She also sounds rattley in her breathing. It's bitterly cold so I fixed her up a spot in the house for her to warm up. I called around the farm supply places nearby and only one has any sort of antibiotic, and it's penicillin. I've watched some videos about giving an muscular injection and I am inexperienced but not afraid to try it. Is pencillian appropriate for her issue though? Looks like it might be more for treating a wounded bird? In the past I've tried the stuff you put in their water that smells sort of menthol and didn't find it to be helpful. I appreciate any advice or guidance. Thank you.
It’s pretty easy to also give them antibiotic tablets. I just break them into pieces and open their beak and feed it to them. I usually get my antibiotics from the vet.

Hi everyone! Happy New Year. I bought the Nutridrench last night on the way home for Henny. Do you have to dilute it or can I just give her a small dose with a syringe in the mouth?

Great visual! Classic! That is NOT fooling around!

After my first experience with a broody, I don't fool around :lau
I was given 5 Blue Wyandottes pullets, beautiful girls & they laid nicely. Then 1st went broody, kept removing her from the nest to no avail. I gave up & let her be until I lifted her one day, felt how much weight she lost. Then I got serious, bought the cage and she was in it for about 4days. 2 more went broody, they went to BJ, and the 1st started again. So I gave them back to my friend who used them for hatching eggs.

Did not realize how "run down" they make themselves but BJ is ready and also works as a backup cage for what ever else ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom