Treating Scaly Leg Mites in 60+ Birds

I would use ivermectin orally or topically.
X2 on the Ivermectin.

Since OP @Redhead Rae mentions that she wants to treat as naturally as possible, Ivermectin may not be the best choice. I think it would be very effective for treating so many birds (maybe less labor intensive).

The only other suggestion I can think of is to get a bucket and add oil of choice (castor oil, coconut/vegetable) and dip each chicken's legs in the oil. I do feel like it is better to wash each bird's legs and loosen the dirt (mite poop) first, but if that is not practical, then dipping the birds every few days should smother the mites.

While I've never heard of SLM being effectively treated with Permethrin, it would also be a good idea to treat the coop/bedding for lice/mites. If you have SLM then likely there could be other external parasites, but the birds may be keeping them under control by dust bathing.

Just my 2¢

I really doubt that you have all 60 birds affected by leg mites at such a young age. I have seen and treated leg mites in my flock, but only maybe 3 of 25 have symptoms. They seem to be affected more if they are old or doing poorly. They may be in your coop, and you can empty the bedding in the coop and nest boxes, then spray coop, nests, and roosts with permethrin, treat all affected chickens once a week with a good oil to their legs, and replace all bedding. I have good luck with crisco shortening, and others use vaseline, castor oil, or vegetable oil. Rub it into and under scales once a week.

X2 on the Ivermectin.

Since OP @Redhead Rae mentions that she wants to treat as naturally as possible, Ivermectin may not be the best choice. I think it would be very effective for treating so many birds (maybe less labor intensive).

The only other suggestion I can think of is to get a bucket and add oil of choice (castor oil, coconut/vegetable) and dip each chicken's legs in the oil. I do feel like it is better to wash each bird's legs and loosen the dirt (mite poop) first, but if that is not practical, then dipping the birds every few days should smother the mites.

While I've never heard of SLM being effectively treated with Permethrin, it would also be a good idea to treat the coop/bedding for lice/mites. If you have SLM then likely there could be other external parasites, but the birds may be keeping them under control by dust bathing.

Just my 2¢
I might do the full scrub the first time. They just got off the garden area, which was a muddy mess, and they are now on grass. So their legs are DIR-TY. A weekly dip in oil would be so much easier after that.

I really doubt that you have all 60 birds affected by leg mites at such a young age. I have seen and treated leg mites in my flock, but only maybe 3 of 25 have symptoms. They seem to be affected more if they are old or doing poorly. They may be in your coop, and you can empty the bedding in the coop and nest boxes, then spray coop, nests, and roosts with permethrin, treat all affected chickens once a week with a good oil to their legs, and replace all bedding. I have good luck with crisco shortening, and others use vaseline, castor oil, or vegetable oil. Rub it into and under scales once a week.
Most of the sources I read state that if one is showing signs, all should be treated. I'll take a look at a few birds tomorrow. So far, I've seen signs of scale lifting on my Cornish trio, and my Cochin and Cochin crosses.

Good advice so far. I'm posting so I can follow along.

I sure hope its not SLM.
Feather footed birds tend to have scales that look lifted due to feather shafts.
Just really hoping its not SLM.

Neither are.
where I got my info;

http://www.sweeth2o.us/health.html
"...Grown birds are treated with 1cc of ivermectin per quart of water for 2 days. Mix a fresh batch as needed each day. ..."
"....generic Ivomec from Jeffers Supply. Some feed stores carry it. Jeffers has it on sale sometimes and it is cheaper than my feed store even with shipping. DO NOT GET POUR ON. Pour on is oil based and will not mix with the water. GET INJECTABLE...."

https://www.meetup.com/AustinBackyardPoultry/messages/boards/thread/23965462
"... 1% water soulable is injectable and can be used in
the water. "

Back
Top Bottom