Treating sick turkeys - Warning, contains necropsy pictures!

his poop is very liquid and yellow and yes I actually just added the dewormer yesterday in the feed
He probably needs metronidazole (fish-zole or Flagyl) and Safeguard or Valbazen orally, not in feed.

-Kathy

Thank you. The dewormer we use is to be added into the feed and it worked all the time.
The other turkeys are fine...but now i worry that he might have blackhead sickness or something
of that kind. I really wish to bring him to a vet.But we have no one closer then 2h form use.

Many thanks for your help. I will go and buy the things you mentioned.

Thank you. The dewormer we use is to be added into the feed and it worked all the time.
The other turkeys are fine...but now i worry that he might have blackhead sickness or something
of that kind. I really wish to bring him to a vet.But we have no one closer then 2h form use.

Many thanks for your help. I will go and buy the things you mentioned.
Where do you live?

-Kathy

Also, I had found the last week that the poop of the turkeys were green. but solid.
I didn't think anything of it.Since, they seem to be doing great.But now I worry that
they too might be sick.

Oxford, Indiana
Okay... you should be able to find metronidazole at petsmart or petco on the aquarium section. Look for something called API General Cure, but check the ingredients and verify that it says metronidazole 250mg and praziquantel 75mg. Metronidazole is what you need, but the praziquantel won't hurt. You also need to get Safeguard liquid for goats or Safeguard paste for horses, those you will find a Tractor Supply.

Might also want to think about tube feeding and get yourself a 24" aquarium air line tube and Kaytee baby bird food from Petsmart, 60ml syringe from Tractor.

How much does he weigh?

-Kathy

Ok thank you for the information.
Lastly I would like to ask one question. Going over the internet.
I couldn't see that mucus discharge from the beak is a symptom of blackhead.
And our boy has lot's of mucus in his beak. Would it help to give him warm water
with some apple cider?

Ok thank you for the information.
Lastly I would like to ask one question. Going over the internet.
I couldn't see that mucus discharge from the beak is a symptom of blackhead.
And our boy has lot's of mucus in his beak. Would it help to give him warm water
with some apple cider?
Okay, so here's the bad news... sometimes the mucus is a sign that the dying process has started, and if that's the case, you'll know in about 48 hours, but dehydration can also cause the mucus, so get the tube and syringe and I'll teach you how to safely give fluids. He's gonna need 15ml per pound of body-weight , then another 15ml per pound in 60-90 minutes. Think you can do that? I can PM my phone number to you and talk you through it.

-Kathy

Dear Kathy,

many thanks for your help and I would be very thankful to learn how to safely fluid birds.
However, our boy just passed. He gave a few shuddering breath and breathed out. And died.

Back
Top Bottom