Treating Sour Crop in my Rhode Island Red. Please Help!

I would treat according to the article(s) that Coach has posted.

It's very possible for a hen to have a slow/partially impacted and/or sour crop - don't just consider "one" condition at a time.

Often a crop issue is a symptom of an underlying condition - a few common conditions are reproductive disorders, infection, worms and/or coccidiosis.
There can be inflammation in the body due to one or a combination of these things which affect the crop function.

Treat as a whole. If you need to, use the yeast cream along with coconut oil and/or 1 stool softener. De-worm and treat for Coccidiosis... You get the picture.
1 thing is, if you begin treating with yeast cream, then finish the full course of twice a day for 7 days even if the hen improves.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hello again guys! I wanted to share some good news and clarify one thing as well. The good news was that Carmella was extremely happy to be eating food she liked again and was jumping up at us while waiting to get the boiled eggs with the first treatment of miconazole in it! She ate it all and we gave her a little extra since she hasn't eaten very much. However, she is in much better spirits after finally getting something to eat!

The one question I had was about treating her with all of the other medicines we got for her. We purchased some Corid for the Coccidiosis and will put that in her water bowl at night in her cage. We also got some Safeguard horse de-wormer as the goat one was very expensive at our Tractor Supply Co. They both have fenbendazole in them, so we hope it'll work just as well. So knowing that we have all of this medicine for her, did you mean to say that it is okay for us to give these all to her simultaneously? We can give her miconazole in boiled eggs, let her eat the horse dewormer paste that is apple cinnamon flavored (exciting!), AND let her drink the Corid in her drinking water at the same time?

As always, thank you for your incredible generosity and kindness in helping us fix and save Carmella.

For some reason, Carmella is vomiting two or three times a day. Why is this? Her crop isn't very swollen at all, so it doesn't seem like a build up there is the cause. And knowing that chickens can't throw up themselves, it seems strange that it is happening so frequently. I am hoping it is a side effect of the sour crop itself.

I'm sad to say it got a lot worse around dinner. She came to beg for food like usual (we didn't give her anything). However in the span of a minute she vomited odorless brown liquid multiple times.

I have no idea what this means. We were so happy she seemed to be getting better, but something like this makes it seem like something is very wrong with her.

We don't know what to do. Should we continue the treatments, or is she near death and we should say our goodbyes?

@Wyorp Rock
@coach723

Is she pooping at all?
Photos of poop and hen may be helpful.

She may have a blockage if she spitting up liquid on her own without being handled.

Yes. You can treat with all those simultaneously.

I'll try to get a picture. I'm sorry for the hysterics, the chicken was left to me by my mother and meant the world to me. To lose her is a very sad thought.

Hello guys, I thought I might give you an update on what's happening with Carmella. We ended up taking her to the vet and they gave an exam and vitamin injection. While the vet never explicitly said so, he checked for water belly and internal laying and didn't say she had any of that. He also said that what she was suffering from wasn't sour crop, but most likely slow crop, and gave us a medication called Metoclopramide. We're supposed to give it to her twice a day for six days.

The first day was yesterday and it went great, her crop which was filled with food that night was empty the next morning. It's just a little sad today because the effects of the medicine seem to finally be hitting Carmella. I read that Metoclopramide can be a central nervous system depressant, and she certainly seems to be feeling it. It was tough to get her to eat her first piece of medicine today but we finally got her to do it. She is not eating however, and is very lethargic. I did read that chickens fully recovered from the effect of the medicine after finishing treatment, so I'm trying not to worry too much.

I was wondering if she still needs grit, because the vet told us to not let her scratch around the yard until the treatment is done?

Hopefully Carmella is on the road to recovery! If any of you have had to treat your chickens with Metoclopramide before and have any tips on how to get them to eat anything, that'd be really appreciated. Otherwise thanks for reading this post.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom