Treating Sour Crop: Neochlore or Neomycin

Quote:
Does her crop feel like a balloon (sp)? If it feels like it is fully of air then it is more than likely sour crop. If she has food inside the crop and it is soft that hopefully means that she doesn't have impacted crop. Does it feel like she is emptying her crop at night from the previous day?

I never used olive oil but if there is food in the crop I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to empty it and that should help to get it out. But I am not certain on that. How is she? Is she eating, drinking, pooping normal?

Lisa

Quote:
Oh believe me that I was the same way when it came to withholding food, but I did. Now I rushed the chicken food to soon and had to start all over with the treatment so if you are going to do it do it and don't skimp so you don't have to start over again. I know is it makes you feel awful but it should help.

How does her crop feel now? Has there been any change in the crop? If it is the same just do the ACV in the water and nothing else, no food. She will appreciate the yogurt once she can have it and then the scrambled eggs will be like heaven.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Today she had yogurt, acv and water. Crops a little smaller than last night. She still finds bits of grass and stuff so Im going to find a place to isolate her and do water acv only. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the help. Stressful times.

Should I keep her away from where other chickens live? Can she have a virus thats causing this problem?

I did isolate my BO chicks. I thought it would be harder to keep them from eating the other food and to keep food from the chickens when they were fine so I kept them seperate. I would only keep her away NOT because she is under the weather but because she can't eat the food the others are eating. But she doesn't have a virus and the others should be fine, just keep an eye on the other chickens is all I would do.

Lisa

Quote:
Does her crop feel like a balloon (sp)? If it feels like it is fully of air then it is more than likely sour crop. If she has food inside the crop and it is soft that hopefully means that she doesn't have impacted crop. Does it feel like she is emptying her crop at night from the previous day?

I never used olive oil but if there is food in the crop I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to empty it and that should help to get it out. But I am not certain on that. How is she? Is she eating, drinking, pooping normal?

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa, for your reply. Her crop does feel like a balloon, not hard at all. Very "movable." And she even tries to "move" whatever's in there down. But I know she's not been emptying her crop the past couple of nights because I've checked her early in the morning. And this morning she looked a little droopy so I decided to bring her inside. I did a search on crop problems and someone had used the "olive oil/massage the crop" therapy and it had worked for them. I went to town and got the Bragg ACV that was recommended and she's been drinking a little water on her own. But I have to put it in front of her. She seems a little better this afternoon. I'm not offering her any food at all, just water with ACV, and she's pooped a couple of times in the crate, and they look like normal chicken poop. So I'm glad about that. Any other ideas are appreciated. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your concern, Martha

Quote:

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa, for your reply. Her crop does feel like a balloon, not hard at all. Very "movable." And she even tries to "move" whatever's in there down. But I know she's not been emptying her crop the past couple of nights because I've checked her early in the morning. And this morning she looked a little droopy so I decided to bring her inside. I did a search on crop problems and someone had used the "olive oil/massage the crop" therapy and it had worked for them. I went to town and got the Bragg ACV that was recommended and she's been drinking a little water on her own. But I have to put it in front of her. She seems a little better this afternoon. I'm not offering her any food at all, just water with ACV, and she's pooped a couple of times in the crate, and they look like normal chicken poop. So I'm glad about that. Any other ideas are appreciated. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your concern, Martha

Martha

I would just keep her comfortable and try to get her to drink the ACV and water. I wouldn't fool around with the olive oil right now. I think the olive oil is mostly for impacted crop and since her crop is balloony feeling then olive oil won't help her, but the Bragg's ACV will. I know it is hard to watch them when they don't feel good, but keep working with her to get her to drink. Mine young BO had it last June, well it was 3 of the 6 and in the end they all wound up gettin it so I don't know how or why but after my mess up of feeding them to soon with the chick food it took longer to get rid of it than usual. You should start to feel it going down soon.

I am glad her poops are normal. That is a good thing, if we want to call poop good.. lol. Has she perked up any since bringing her inside? It is hot here and I can imagine how hot it is in Texas. Do you all have the awful humidity like we do here that makes it feel like it in the triple digits.

Hey I think we chatted before like in March and you were using an incubator and my daughter used one for her Science Fair project?

Lisa

If I think of anything new I will let ya know.

I just had a chick with sour crop. The chick was less than 2 weeks old. One indication is the smelly beak area. It smells like sour puke!
My vet said do not withhold food from young chicks, maybe older chickens, it's okay.
I have been putting ACV in the water, I gave the chick some mineral oil and grit. It seems to be solving itself.
The vet also said not to treat with antibiotics because it could be fungal and /or bacterial. You could make matters worse.

Also, on a side note. I have some chicks for sale and will not sell that chick to anyone. I have spoken to about 4 chicken owners this week and no one has even heard of a sour crop. Unreal...

Quote:
I thankfully have never had a very young chick have it. I honestly had never heard of sour crop until I got chickens. I read all that I could read on them and there is still tons to learn about them. I am glad your chick is doing ok.

Where are you located?

OK...so my young pullet has been pooping regularly since yesterday morning when I isolated her. All she has had is ACV in water and the little bit of olive oil I can get down her and lots of massaging of crop area. She seems hungry, scratching around in the dog crate and peeping. Can I try the yogurt now?

Back
Top Bottom