Treating Sour Crop: Neochlore or Neomycin

Quote:
Did Speckledhen have impacted crop? I wouldn't give up on your chick just yet? Keep working with her and her interest with food is a good sign. I would just keep trying the yogurt and then the scrambled eggs. These don't need any help in breaking down so the crop won't have to work to get them out.

Thanks for your encouragement, chickenlady. She didn't say if it was impacted or sour. I don't smell anything from my chick so I'm not sure what I've got on my hands here. I'm going to go scramble an egg for her. That 's a great idea...thanks so much.

Do you ahve any vets that will see chickens? If so maybe see if they can examine her and tell you what to do?

Quote:
Thanks for your encouragement, chickenlady. She didn't say if it was impacted or sour. I don't smell anything from my chick so I'm not sure what I've got on my hands here. I'm going to go scramble an egg for her. That 's a great idea...thanks so much.

Do you ahve any vets that will see chickens? If so maybe see if they can examine her and tell you what to do?

Not in this area. And honestly I just can't spend that kind of money. I let her eat a little bit of scrambled egg. And she drank a little more water. We'll see...Thanks again

Im on day 2 of her no food treatment. She paces by the fence. She looks sooo hungry.

Her crop feels like 95% better. I still feel a little bit of squishyness compared to my other birds. Very minimal. Ill go day 3 with no food. Then day 4 start yogurt. If it just starts getting bloated again on day 4 or 5, then is it something other than sour crop?

Quote:
Mine only did that cause I started food to soon. I felt bad about the no food and I gave in just to soon, but I think that if you stick to it she should be getting better and better. I hope it continues to get better for her.

Ill go full 3 days.

How long do I give her yogurt and acv water only for? Starting day 4 , I know that but do I do that for a week after or just days?

Quote:
Mine only did that cause I started food to soon. I felt bad about the no food and I gave in just to soon, but I think that if you stick to it she should be getting better and better. I hope it continues to get better for her.

I think that you can do that safely with a hen, but I'm concerned about no food for 3 days with a 9-wk-old. Have you ever had this problem with one around this age?

For a couple days I put a wire in between so that chick was separated and gave some bread soaked in mineral oil to help pass what was in there. I left food in there (chick mash) and did the ACV in the water but also offered plain water. I was afraid she wouldn't drink it. They actually love it. I just gave FINE grit sprinkled on the food and hoped for the best. The chick is still okay, eating and drinking and active. The smell is there but not as strong.
I don't know what else to do. I was tempted to take her to the vet because I'm a big softy but the vet said just leave the chick. It would be over $100 just to start and you never know, sometimes they just aren't meant to make it. I get so attached to these little birds.

I guess I would try the mineral oil, ACV in water. Vet said you can make it strong like a TBSP to a cup of water to start. I didn't do it that strong. I'm doing about a TBSP to a quart of water. The chicks all love it.
Good luck!

OH and I did withhold food only for an hour or so , so the bird would be hungry and gobble down the mineral oil soaked bread. It worked.

Also vet said chicks do need grit, fine grit for babies. Even if they are only eating mash.

Back
Top Bottom