Treatment of slipped tendon in 3 day old chick? any hope?

bubblebabeuk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
One of my newly hatched chicks is showing signs of what I believe to be slipped tendon, two of its hatchmates have splayed leg which seems to be improving with the band aid hobble treatment. I had this other chick, Pirate (he walks like he has a peg leg bless him) bound in the same way but the symptoms are totally different and he is showing no signs of improvement at all. he holds the leg up and wont put weight on it. he is managing to feed and drink, but obviously I am keeping an eye on this. does anyone have any ideas as to what else I could try next for the little peeper?

Sometimes this helps if the leg isn't.turning out badly....take some vet wrap and wrap his leg in a straighter position...wrap around the hock joint real well to prevent him from bending it a lot. Do this for a few days and are if any improvement.

Thank you I will try that when my vet wrap gets delivered. Do I need to wrap the whole leg? and should I bind it to the good leg?

I took the band aid off to see if there was any improvement and took a few extra pics to give everyone a better idea of whats going on with little Pirate Chicky.

This is how he gets around, the foot stays off the ground, even when hobbled with a band aid, and he hops and flaps around, it seems to stick out and get in the way more than anything.

Please help am desperate not to have to cull this chick so bumping in the hope someone can shed some light on whats the problem with pirate
idunno.gif

The only other thing I can think of that ive done is to make him a shoe. You want to take a heavy piece of cardboard and cut a rectangle a little longer than his foot and about one.and a 1/4 wider. Take a piece of duct tape....spread his foot over the cardboard rectangle...leaving the extra towards the outside....take the tape and tape his foot to the rectangle. The extra might help him keep his foot and joint from rolling...the tape and shoe will weigh down his foot stretching it out.you may have to make several attempts to get it right for him. fingers crossed..he..she..is such a cutie.

Back
Top Bottom