Treatment plans for chickens

bokbokchickenx

Hatching
Feb 27, 2015
Hey everyone, I'm a first time chicken owner.
I was just wondering if anyone has a treatment plan I can take a look at, or any advice on what is the best kinds of preventative treatments for worms, mites and lice?

For worms, Valbazen once or twice a year is good. Valbazen gets every worm known to chicken-kind.

For lice and mites, Sevin dust them every once in a while as needed. I also sprinkle it around the coop when I change the bedding, and pour it in their favorite dust bathing spots. :)

MrsB

For worms, many people worm them about once a year, starting around one year of age, iwith an all purpose wormer such as Safeguard or Valbazen. Some people worm more often, particularly if they live where the soil is warm and moist. But some people never worm them and never see an indication of a real infestation, even when doing a necropsy for other reasons. You could have a fecal smear done by a vet once a year, too, usually for a minimal fee, and many vets who won't see chickens wil do this for you, as it is a simple lab test on poop.

For lice and mites, it is a good practice to check them visually, I would say twice a year but others will give different timetables, I'm sure. Access to a good dust bath, just fine dry soil they can "wallow out" a dust bathing spot, is a very good idea. Adding some wood ash to this is even better. Some people also use a sprinkle of a pyrethrin/permethrin type powder or 5% Sevin dust around the coop and in the nests, while others feel Sevin ( carbaryl) has become too suspect.

If you are considering using "natural" products, please do your research first, as, frankly, they have little or no effect. DE is useless against worms and provides only a minimal knockdown for lice and mites; I strongly suspect a dust bath with wood ashes would be more effective, if someone actually were to research it. There are several items that are purported to be natural wormers, such as pumpkin seeds, but despite requests, I have never seen a word of evidence they have any effect.

X2, Judy.

I can verify there is *no such thing* as a "natural" wormer. Garlic, pumpkin seed, grapefruit extract... Nothing will work against worms except a chemical wormer. If anyone tells you differently, they haven't had a chicken die from worms while spoon feeding mashed garlic and pumpkin seeds................ but they will.

MrsB

Welcome to BYC!

I'd like to add that not all wormers treat the same worms, so do your homework on that. For example, a wormer like Safeguard has to be given several days in a row at the proper dose to treat capillary worms, but Valbazen given just once at the proper dose will treat a large percentage of them, and something like Wazine will treat only roundworms.

You might want to think about what medications/supplies to have in case of an emergency. There are a few that I think everyone should have:

1. Corid liquid for treating coccidiosis.
2. Safeguard liquid for treating worms.
3. Calcium pills or liquid for treating egg binding.
4. Assortment of syringes and needles.
5. Poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder for lice and mites.
6. Betadine or chlorhexadine for cleaning wounds.

-Kathy

Last edited:
For lice and mites a showbreeder recommended Frontline (the spray for puppies and kittens, not the vial).

Spray them under each wing every few months. If I bring a new bird in I give them a spray as well. I don't want to dust my whole coop or their environment, Frontline has been super easy and effective.

Back
Top Bottom