Treats for 3 week old chicks?

Ive been experimenting some. So far a Angel Hair noodle will cause a riot in the box! Now all the chicks rush to me when they see me come in. I scooped up a handfull of dirt under the porch to give them some grit too. I also put carrot shavings and banana in there as well. Im not really sure if they ate those or not. I know they pecked at them but nothing like what they do with a noodle.

I've had to take to giving out mealworms one by one to make sure everyone gets one, and it is always a mad dash when I show up out there with goodies. We have mealworm tug-o-war almost every day, and I'm pretty sure the poor things die from whiplash long before they get eaten, because I have yet to see a chick who doesn't run around the brooder hysterically with a mealworm in it's mouth snapping it like a towel in a shower room....

And I can only hope that our chooks acquire a taste for little red spiders, because we are absolutely over-run with them here every year. I have to take a stick with me when I walk out in the yard on summer mornings to break three or four webs that were woven at face level overnight...nothing gives me the willies quicker than a spider running down the back of my neck...

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom