Treats for baby chicks?

TheBajan

Songster
Mar 18, 2018
Davisburg, Michigan
My pullets are 9 days old now and I am feeding them Dumor 20% starter/grower chick feed. Today I gave them the cut tops off of strawberries. They spent a good 45 minutes chasing each other around eating them. I was told not to give them chick grit until they are older. I'm wondering though if I should give them some grit since I gave them some strawberries? If so, would I just add some to their chick feed or offer it to them in a separate dish?

X2. This is what I do too from about 2 weeks old.
I have also discovered that the much maligned chickweed is, as it's name suggests, ideal for chicks. I pull up as many little plants as I can, and put them in with the roots, dirt and all in the brooder and watch out!! The chicks come flying to dig in. Great chicken TV.

I have also discovered that the much maligned chickweed is, as it's name suggests, ideal for chicks. I pull up as many little plants as I can, and put them in with the roots, dirt and all in the brooder and watch out!! The chicks come flying to dig in. Great chicken TV.
Yes! And according to BYC pundits, it's a good idea to give baby chicks some soil....it helps them develop immunity to cocci. The first two weeks is when the greatest benefit occurs.

Back
Top Bottom