Treats for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hrhta812, Aug 10, 2013.

1. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    What treats can chicks have and at what age? We have scratch grains blend from TSC for our adult chickens, and I also have some rolled oats and sunflower seeds [in the shell] that I throw out to them sometimes. My chicks are 5 weeks old now.

What about food scraps for chicks?:

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I give my chicks who are 4 weeks old fresh corn scraps, grapes, blueberries, and the tops of strawberries,. Your chicks should be able to eat rolled oat, mine like small bird seed and they should be able to eat table scraps.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Thanks, that's very helpful! Our farmer neighbor just gifted us some of his newly picked sweet corn, so I will definitely let them have some fun pecking at the ends of the cobs. :)

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    The only treats I gave my chickens before 9wks of age was scrambled eggs, cheese, or grapes. Starting at 9wks I started giving them frozen fruit because of the heat and leftover corn on the cob. I didn't start table scrapes until 13ish weeks. I just feel like although it's super fun to see the chicks react to treats what they need is their feed, it can be hard to tell if you are over feeding treats so better safe than sorry.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by