Treats/Fun Stuff for 1 week old Chicks?

stnkyferit

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Hi! So my 3 chicks are turning 1 week old and I was wondering if there is anything I could give them treatwise or something they may like to play with? I have the brooder (a rubbermaid tub) in the bathroom so they can have some peace and quiet. However, since they are pretty much out of the traffic of the house, they get nervous when we go in and check on them. So I am thinking that if they associate me with "exciting things" then they will create a positive association to me...

I did take their crumbles and wet them and they did find that enjoyable....anything else?

Many don't treat this early. I do though. I start sprinkling grit on their food from day one. Small live mealworms are a treat they will love you for. they can probably do a larger size but since I grow my own I get the small ones out for them. Scrambled egg. I'd stay away from too much fiber like grass for a little while but small amounts of anything is fine as in nature they'd be eating anything momma could find.

Just make sure to use grit with treats!!.

I would try to keep the crumbles as the majority of their food.Mama chicken would take them out for a roam and let them peck at things like grass,bugs and dirt (grit) at that age so probably wouldn't hurt them though.Just stay with them, if they act cold bring them back in to the brooder to warm up. They will adjust better to human contact if they are around you more. Sit and talk with them, handle them gently, don't reach down on them suddenly like a hawk swooping in.Putting them in the bathroom alone isn't going to do much for them adjusting to you.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes, I have had grit in there since day one - they actually ate that like it was going out of style the first day, then figured out the crumble was better LOL...

I picked up some small wax worms and put a few in there.....and they were like "What the heck is this!!!" LOLOL....I know to just put it in small amounts, but it is true, mommy hen would have them checking things out by this time...

Back
Top Bottom