Treats

I'm no expert--my 4-week old babies are my first-ever chickens--but I've had fun experimenting with treats. Mine LOVE watermelon--they had some for the first time yesterday and it caused absolute pandemonium--and they also love Scottish oats, steel-cut oats, yogurt, canteloupe seeds, and cooked egg yolk. They were totally unimpressed with grapes and Cheerios. Go figure!

Amy

Mine didn't like the cheerios either. Did you split the grapes in half so they get a good taste? The girls go bonkers over grapes.

Marsha

Mine love grapes once they learn what they are they will fly up to try to get them, split one in half and watch the fun begin. Mine also get any type of bread(they especially like to steal the roll off the picnic table if no one is looking. Maybe they didn't like that one any better than the others, but it sure seemed that way to me.

Mine love apples, to the point a couple have learned that they can get up into my apple trees and knock apples from the branch.

Very weird chickens however I bought apples at the store and they didn't like them too much including my turkeys which only like the summer apple trees.

My turkeys are so spoiled that everytime they see me near the apple trees, they come running as I keep a knife in the tree to have handy to slice them peices and they eat from my hand. Not sure how they may feel come Thanksgiving.....:eek:

GRAPES & YOGURT! I mash them up together, they fight over it. I tried cheerios, they just gave me a suspicious look and ignored them!

My girls love everything !! Cottage cheese ( no or low salt), leftover milk from the kids' cereal bowl, sunflower seeds
( seeds with out shells), finely ground hard-bolied eggs, blueberries, cantelope, lettuce, tomatos, cucumbers, carrots ( grated) , zucchini, apples ( not granny smith ??), watermelon, yougart, grapes, cherries ( I remove the stone) , corn on the cob, peaches, plums and bananas......veggie peels and worms, OMG, they love the worms......and of course scratch when it is not too hot...I often toss in dried whole corn cobs from the feed store , you know squirel corn..... they are not entirely fussy......

all I have to do is open the back door and yell "Chicken Bowl" is a high pick ( not overly loud) voice and they RUN to see me................actually, it's the bowl thier happy to see
roll.png

and they will not eat any part of asparagus
hmm.png
Go figure.....

Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have a silly questions about treats for the " kids " what kind of yougart do you give them?? what flavor do they like best?? i never knew about feeding my chicks treats so i guess this weekend i am going shopping for goodies. what age is safe to give them treats? right now i have 20 babies almost a month old and i have two kids that are around 16-17 weeks old. also will ducks be able to eat same treats as chickens?

Julie

Please don't laugh, my go in circles and jump up on our laps for Bologna. Cut it into strips and I think they think it's worms. They dont get this often but when they do it's a riot. Mine don't like cheerios either. But just about anything we eat they do as well. We have one day old chicks and they are up high in the nest box, any suggestions when to bring them down?

Back
Top Bottom