Treats

Just a few minutes ago I gave my 4-week old girls a plum; I had eaten most of the flesh off of it, and they had a GRAND time ripping away the bits of skin and flesh on the pit. It should keep them occupied for a while.

I think while they're in the brooder, especially when they're older, they need something to do. This is just my totally novice uneducated opinion, but now that my girls are a month old, they're so ready to do chicken things. They make a horrid mess scratching around in the pine shavings, and they don't really have anything to find or do. Maybe since I'm a dog trainer I'm overly concerned with animal enrichment
wink.png
, but I think bored confined animals are just a setup for trouble. So I've been leaving stuff down there for them to pick at...the other day, I left the core of a fresh tomato. It provided them with a couple hours of entertainment--you know, eating it, stealing from one another, the whole nine yards. Until they can get outside, I want to keep giving them stuff like this to do.

Amy

Agilityscots, I was thinking the same thing, only my girls are a week old today. They just seem kind of 'bored', walking around with not much to keep them occupied other than pecking at their crumbles.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could give my chicks to (safely) occupy them for a little while?

Thanks!

I sometimes think they are bored as well. When that happens I toss in several handfuls of straw. They spend time arranging it to their liking. I guess it'd be like re-arranging the living room furniture.

JulieR: I give only plain low-fat yogurt. Sometimes I mix some boiled egg or garlic in it. They love it.

Back
Top Bottom