Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
I placed about 20 taps yesterday, before my shoulder gave out. Was a nice day only a couple trees. (Boxelder) were running. The Maples were dry.

Then it snowed last night and turned cold again. Two cold days then a week above 40 without going below freezing. Could be a bad year.

I placed about 20 taps yesterday, before my shoulder gave out. Was a nice day only a couple trees. (Boxelder) were running. The Maples were dry.

Then it snowed last night and turned cold again. Two cold days then a week above 40 without going below freezing. Could be a bad year.
At least you have something to tap. All I have are elms, Russian Olives and a crabapple tree that are are big enough to tap.

Gathered 500 gal of sap today. Got the evaporator fired up.

Attachments

• 20210228_160037.jpg
    20210228_160037.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 4

That's a bummer man. Got about 12 gallons over here today. Hope nature surprises you and you get some sap this week. :fl

Pic of the evaporator.
Only boiled for a few hrs to test things out. Previous owner is going to come tomorrow to set the float to the properly, and we will hopefully get a draw off of syrup so he can school us on the filter press operation.
Yrs ago, I would just use cone filters with pre filters, and do that twice before bottling. This filter press with food grade DE is new to me.
However, I'm leaving for a ice fishing trip in Maine Tuesday noonish and won't be home till late Sunday, so my buddy is on his own.

Attachments

• 20210228_172821.jpg
    20210228_172821.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 5
Pic of the evaporator.
Only boiled for a few hrs to test things out. Previous owner is going to come tomorrow to set the float to the properly, and we will hopefully get a draw off of syrup so he can school us on the filter press operation.
Yrs ago, I would just use cone filters with pre filters, and do that twice before bottling. This filter press with food grade DE is new to me.
However, I'm leaving for a ice fishing trip in Maine Tuesday noonish and won't be home till late Sunday, so my buddy is on his own.
If you don’t mind how many cookies did that set you back?

If you don’t mind how many cookies did that set you back?
Me nothing. Just my time and experience running a evaporator.

This is my buddies operation. He only bought it if I could help out. He's in the excavation business, so this time of yr he gets busy. However I'm in lawncare/property maintenance, so I'm not busy unless it snows and I have to plow.

For the evaporator, and everything included. Taps, head tank, tubing, filter press, gathering tanks and transport tanks, and other miscellaneous tools/fittings was $3500.
He stole that. Try and find a 3x8 drop flue with steam hood/preheater for under 5k, let alone all the other goodies he got.

Me nothing. Just my time and experience running a evaporator.

This is my buddies operation. He only bought it if I could help out. He's in the excavation business, so this time of yr he gets busy. However I'm in lawncare/property maintenance, so I'm not busy unless it snows and I have to plow.

For the evaporator, and everything included. Taps, head tank, tubing, filter press, gathering tanks and transport tanks, and other miscellaneous tools/fittings was $3500.
He stole that. Try and find a 3x8 drop flue with steam hood/preheater for under 5k, let alone all the other goodies he got.
You got a great price. I thought the arch alone would be $3,500.

You got a great price. I thought the arch alone would be $3,500.
Cant find that size arch without the preheater steam hood for under 5k in decent condition in my area. He was looking for a small brothers 2x6 raised flue evap, but this came along and he couldn't pass it up. To sweeten the deal (see what I did there, lol) , he also got the surger bush with existing mainline and laterals in place for no cost. Has to sign a contract and provide insurance proof.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom