Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
Buddy of mine decided to jump in feet first and bought a local guy out. He picked up a 3x8 Leader drop flue evaporator with steam/preheater hood, and everything he has included. Head tank, filter press, gathering tanks, tapping tools, jugs, etc. Even going to use his sugarbush with existing mainline and laterals. 475 taps. Started on the sap house last week, and hopefully we can get everything set up and ready to tap in the next week or two.

I had a 2x6 small brothers raised flue evaporator in the mid '90's, but that was a long time ago. Forgotten more than I remember about making syrup. Fortunately, the former owner is going to help us with the first few boils.
Wow!!

makes my home made system look primative.

Made a lot of syrup on a little homemade system before I purchased a 2x6 evaporator in the 90's. Unfortunately my nephew who was helping me, died and I sold the evaporator soon after. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't sold it.
How many gallons of syrup are you aiming for?

I have decided to not tap today. The outlook is not as rosy as they had said it would be. And I have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder that is making this a challenging season before it even starts.

I might have to find me a helper, or do what the WW wants, which is not what I want.

She wants me to skip this season. That is not going to happen!

I only have one or two days it could possibly run in the next week.

6E584DB1-C832-4984-B775-C4A3BD8FF23A.png

Got the head tank, arch and stack in. Pic doesn't show it, but the pans are on the arch and the head tank is plumbed into the preheater, and two windows are framed in on the front wall. I'll try and remember to get a current pic tomorrow..

Attachments

• 20210222_101634.jpg
    20210222_101634.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 7
Got the head tank, arch and stack in. Pic doesn't show it, but the pans are on the arch and the head tank is plumbed into the preheater, and two windows are framed in on the front wall. I'll try and remember to get a current pic tomorrow..
Would you mind if I swing by and borrow your arch for a decade?

Back
Top Bottom