Trees next to run? I want to tell my husband he is wrong

I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
Trees are fine and necessary for shade and windbreak.. plus some bugs.. Carry on!

I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
I've been debating trees by my run as well. I have an evergreen which they love the overhang but I don't let them free range especially now with leaves just coming in on other trees. They love my elm tree but I've been thinking bamboo behind my run between the back and my fence. Would probably get a low grower and "fluffy" version of thin branches variety so nothing can nest above

hawks can totally and very quickly fly from a much further away perch to swoop and pick up a chicken. I have tons of trees and they actually serve to hide my girls from the hawks and a bit of protection, possibly also. Hawks usually like to sit in high trees, not smaller fruit trees that are usually closer to the ground. Trees are great for shade for the girls and will in NO WAY encourage Hawks, we have lots of hawks in Arizona and I have watched them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom