Triangle coop/tractor for broody hen

PEI chicken

Songster
11 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Here is a quick coop/tractor that I built for a broody hen and her chicks during my summer vacation.

It is light and easy to move on the large casters: When the casters are flipped down under the front it can be moved, and when flipped up the pen is flat to the ground:

It isn't waterproof, so I plan to staple a piece of linoleum over the coop part.

Mrs Szuess and her 4 chicks are out for the day, but will return to drink water and to roost for the night.

Unfortunately, another hen and her 5 chicks are still penned up and would like their freedom to roam. I am going to see/test if the hens are willing to share the tractor/coop.

Last edited:
Thank you Island Roo. I agree about the half inch hardware cloth. I didn`t have enough of it so just did under the coop area. For the first week the chicks were roaming freely through the larger holed section with the broody hen inside. They didn`t stray far. Now, I don`t think they can fit through the holes; they come and go with the broody when the wheels are raised. Next week, when I am back at work, I won`t raise the pen to release the broody until I get home from work. My laying hens get out for a few hours then too, at the end of the day.

Most predators around here come at night. So if I keep them in the coop part at night they should be safe.

Back
Top Bottom