Triangle shaped object in an egg of new layer.

Idaho Chicken Bungalow

Crossing the Road
Jul 23, 2021
Southern Idaho
Early last week I cracked open what would be the 5th egg from my Penciled Plymouth rock pullet and there was this triangle shaped mass in it. Perfect yoke, and egg white. I would say it looked like a piece cat food. 1 cm sides and thickness of 1/2 cm. I scooped it (whole egg) out and threw it in the trash. I kept wanting to get it out of the trash and look at it, but I was afraid I'd be grossed out and never eat an egg again. She has se laid another egg that was fine but not one since mid-week. She has been in the nest box but not laying. She's eating and drinking. Please tell me I'm not crazy and what you think it might have been

Probably a meat spot, check it out on this link. Blood spots are probably more common than meat spots but this is why I suggest we always crack our eggs in a separate bowl before we add them to anything. You never now what you might find in them.

Egg Quality Handbook

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

The commercial operations electronically candle their eggs, looking for stuff like this. That's why you never find this type of thing in the eggs you buy from the big commercial outfits.

The eggs are still good to use and if the blood spot is pretty small I might in scrambled eggs. But it can be hard to get past the YUK! Factor with a lot of them.

Bottom line, it is not that unusual and doesn't mean anything is wrong with your pullet. It's just something that happens, especially with new layers.

Probably a meat spot, check it out on this link. Blood spots are probably more common than meat spots but this is why I suggest we always crack our eggs in a separate bowl before we add them to anything. You never now what you might find in them.

Egg Quality Handbook

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

The commercial operations electronically candle their eggs, looking for stuff like this. That's why you never find this type of thing in the eggs you buy from the big commercial outfits.

The eggs are still good to use and if the blood spot is pretty small I might in scrambled eggs. But it can be hard to get past the YUK! Factor with a lot of them.

Bottom line, it is not that unusual and doesn't mean anything is wrong with your pullet. It's just something that happens, especially with new layers.
Thank you for this information. She did lay an egg today; I haven't used it yet. I hope it was just a fluke. She is so darn proud of herself she follows me around the yard to talk to me about it!

Back
Top Bottom