Tribute to a hound

I forgot that I had this thread. More losses this year. Fd Ch Sourland Mt Chase was euthanized because of paralysis from a slipped disc, and Nr Fd Ch Sourland Mt Speakeasy was euthanized because of lymphoma. Both leave me with memories of good runs both in training and in competition. The first time that I ran Chase after he came back from the starter I told the Princess, "This one will be a champion." He was a good one -= probably fourth best of all that I have had.

Oh, Sour - so very sorry. I just found this thread and have to brush away the tears to reply. My last old timers made it to 14, two to different cancers, one to congestive heart failure, and one to kidney failure. The last one was Jan.'89.

Haven't gotten another dog since. Just can't afford the astronomical vet bills, now that I am darn old and health care for humans is just as bad. I wouldn't take on a dog knowing
that I couldn't pay for its health care etc.

I've often told my brother if he wanted a dog and would pay for its care, I would be glad to keep it for him etc.- he could see it whenever he wanted to. My brother wouldn't want do the scooping part, or the housebreaking, or grooming or training etc. So I figured he'd jump at the chance but, he hasn't. My son really doesn't care for dogs enough to want to pet them.

Have to add Rattler to the deceased list. The Rat was my pet. I rescued him from a less than excellent environment and managed to get him to his championship. Never a great dog he probably loved life more than any dog that I have ever had - racing, playing and jumping on me - perhaps because of his earlier less than perfect life. He died of a major stroke about a month ago. Uncle Jay and Baby Jayne are starting to show their age and will be the next to go. Both are arthritic, but still enjoy life and the opportunity to trail rabbits.

Have to add Rattler to the deceased list. The Rat was my pet. I rescued him from a less than excellent environment and managed to get him to his championship. Never a great dog he probably loved life more than any dog that I have ever had - racing, playing and jumping on me - perhaps because of his earlier less than perfect life. He died of a major stroke about a month ago. Uncle Jay and Baby Jayne are starting to show their age and will be the next to go. Both are arthritic, but still enjoy life and the opportunity to trail rabbits.
You mentioned your arthritic dogs. I used to give my arthritic Basset Hound buffered aspirin and it helped a lot. A vet suggested I give the aspirin a try. I put pills for my dogs in chunky peanut butter and they gulp them right down. I use chunky because it masks the texture of the pills.

Back
Top Bottom