Tricide Neo for Bumblefoot- Still recommended?

im dealing with bumble foot on of course my favorite chicken Hen-lee Im ordering the tricide neo as well, where did you order from,
Im hopping this will work i am gone a lot so the soaking might not be a steady thing, I will do my best, thanks for all the good comments and encourage meant from every one on the site, has any body had a chicken survive WITHOUT any treatment???
Have a great day every one Suzy

How do you get the girls to just stand in their "spa"? Mine are not lap birds and I am imagining having to hold them in place while they beat me with their wings!

How do you get the girls to just stand in their "spa"? Mine are not lap birds and I am imagining having to hold them in place while they beat me with their wings!

I haven't done Tricide Neo soaks, but I've had one hen with bumblefoot I did 20 minute Epsom salt soaks with. She sits quietly the entire time. I also had a pullet rip off a toenail, and she is VERY skittish and hard to handle. I expected her to be a nightmare in the soak. Instead she settled right in and enjoyed!

My girls are not lap birds either, I am treating one right now (for 4 weeks) so what I have been doing is waiting an hour after they go to roost and then get her. I sit on a chair and put her on my lap, the trick is to hold the wings so she won't flap them, once they start flapping their wings, it gets pretty hard to control them. When I sit her on my lap (parallel to your chest), I get one wing against my chest and hold the other one with my hand. The other hand holds the foot in the container because at the beginning she doesn't like the feeling of wetness. Another trick I have learned is to turn the light off in the room I am treating her. I only have a night light which is enough to be able to see what I am doing. This calms her since she cannot see very much around her. Most of the time she falls asleep. It might be difficult the first few days, but it gets easier as they get used to it.
I hope this helps you and good luck with your girls!

My girls are not lap birds either, I am treating one right now (for 4 weeks) so what I have been doing is waiting an hour after they go to roost and then get her. I sit on a chair and put her on my lap, the trick is to hold the wings so she won't flap them, once they start flapping their wings, it gets pretty hard to control them. When I sit her on my lap (parallel to your chest), I get one wing against my chest and hold the other one with my hand. The other hand holds the foot in the container because at the beginning she doesn't like the feeling of wetness. Another trick I have learned is to turn the light off in the room I am treating her. I only have a night light which is enough to be able to see what I am doing. This calms her since she cannot see very much around her. Most of the time she falls asleep. It might be difficult the first few days, but it gets easier as they get used to it.
I hope this helps you and good luck with your girls!

Great information. My birds aren't crazy about spa time either and will stand still (sort of) for only about 5 minutes. I'm going to try your after dark, in a dark room idea. Thank you.

Thank you for this thread - my Silkie rooster and his Polish hens, who are notoriously high maintenance, have bumblefoot. Glad that I don't have to do surgery now (hopefully).

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread, but bumblefoot has been absolute hell for us. I'm not even sure I can get tricide neo in NZ. Why the distilled water? Surely that advice is just for fish since fish are harmed by chlorine? Or is the powder reactive?

Back
Top Bottom