Tricks for keeping bedding out of feed/water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BLaBauve, Nov 8, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have some chicks that are a few weeks old and they constantly get their bedding in their feed/water. I've put the waterer and feed on top of things, in dog bowls. . . nothing seems to help. They always make a mess. I'm not able to hang anything where they're located in the garage. I'm using a small plastic feeder/waterer for chicks. There are only 4 chicks. . .

Does anyone have any tricks?

Thanks!

2. frogs n chickens

frogs n chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    valley springs, calif.
    The chicks seem to get bedding in the food and water no matter what you do, but raising it on bricks or blocks so that it is head high is helpful.

3. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I've got my chicks learning to use a rabbit water bottle. I prefer the chick waterer, but when I elevate it on a board to help keep out the bedding, it sometimes gets knocked over. It takes them a while to get the hang of pecking at the tip of the water bottle, but at least I know they have a clean source for backup water if I am away.

When selecting a water bottle, bounce your finger on the tip and make sure the ball bearings slide easily. I had a bad one today where the ball bearings were stuck up in the tube.

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I make a small platform using 2x4's for the base and a piece of plywood. About a foot square should do.
    The chicks quickly learn to hop up on the platform to get a drink. No mess in the water!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:This was what I was going to suggest!!! [​IMG]

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I have a pan with a grate on it. The waterer is on the grate. You can see it here .

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I keep my waterer in a shallow horse feed tub .My chicks can get in & out at about 2 Weeks old,& keeps it litter free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by