Tricolor Egg

Dephora

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
Southern Oregon
Hello all,

It has been some years since I had chicks or pullets, but my girls are getting older and if I want eggs I have to get more chickens!

Since it has been years since I have dealt with the strange new eggs a person can get when pullets start laying, I was hoping someone with experience could let me know if this sort of egg is normal to see in hens only 3-4 weeks into laying.

IMG_6735.JPG

I got this tricolored egg today from my best foraging pullet, she is excellent at eating every bug she sees before the other pullets even know there is a bug near them, she seems to come out of no place and snatch it. I am making a new garden in the pasture they forage in so I tend to be around these girls for hours. I watched her squat to poop, she seemed to shoot out a clear liquid, and instantly run herself to her coop where she came out two minutes later and immediately had a nice solid poop.

I went in to see if she had actually laid an egg, I wasn't really expecting one, and found this egg, it did have some poo smears. I assume the coloring is from calcium not completely covering the egg? I cracked the egg almost immediately, the shell was very weak, though the dark blue top, which you would think would be very weak, seemed no weaker than the bottom.

IMG_6738.JPG

The inside looked normal, the line on the left is just the inner egg white bordering the more watery outer egg white. I poked it because after I took the photo I was like "!!" but it wasn't anything.

I am just wondering if anyone knows the reasons for this tricolor effect? Just calcium? I will also mention this chicken laid an egg weighing 45gs yesterday, this egg with the weak and very little calcium shell was 50gs, a pretty big jump for a day, usually for my pullets if they skip a day I know the next one will be much bigger. Could that be the reason? Will update on the egg she lays tomorrow.

The shell color is the light blue on the bottom. The darker color is caused by brown pigment over the top. The pigment didn't get spread evenly, so the dark color is where the most pigment is and the light part has no brown pigment.

Interesting, so that explains why either side wasn't weaker exactly, But looks more like my printer slowly ran out of ink.

IMG_6737.JPG

Interesting, so that explains why either side wasn't weaker exactly, But looks more like my printer slowly ran out of ink.

I often think of coloration on eggs as being like a printer system! And just like my printer sometimes the printer nozzle sputters, or too much ink gets deposited, or something smears, or the nozzle's clogged and the color's super faint, etc.

Back
Top Bottom