Tried everything, I'm at a loss

States family

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Punxsutawney, Pa
My one rir has had a pale comb for weeks now. I've dusted for mites they don't have any. I'vefelt her rear end to see if sshe's egg boundbut iI can't feel a lump of an egg. I've upped her protein, used vitamin water etc. She eats very little and just stands aroundnnot looking right. She hasn't layed an egg for weeks. Her comb is a pale orange color and her skin i . Yellow. She has slight molting on her neck but not a lot. Is she possibly egg bound and I'm just missing it?

?

It may be just a result of her molting. Every bird acts different when molting, some acting like it's no big deal, others act totally miserable.
If you haven't wormed your birds, now would be a good time to consider using a broad spectrum wormer. During molting you want to avoid using ivermectin for worming.

ETA: If she is molting I wouldn't be too worried about egg bound, since she won't be laying during her molt.

Last edited:
What product did you use for treating mites/lice? Permethryn or Sevin dust ?

Safeguard or Panacur is good for de-worming your flock...

Last edited:
Thanks for the link gritsar...sounds wonderful!

I looked to see if it was available here...sadly it is only available in the USA...about time Europe got their act together and came up with such amazing products here...maybe I will try ebay to see if it can be shipped here...
ep.gif

What does her poop look like? I believe rir have yellow skin. How orange is her comb b/c in photo it just looks very pale pink. Any indication of crop issues?

I'm not feeling a whole lot in her crop. She's not eating much of anything. Her wings were drooped a bit to the ground today too which isn't her normal. The picture was probably bad, she has a very light yellow skin, even her backside (where most of my rir have very bright red skin). I'd say it was normal if I "felt" that was normal but it definitely doesn't look normal? She doesn't scratch the ground to feed, she won't eat much at all :( she just stands in 1 spot, in the sun, and moseys everywhere. Easy to catch, which is unusual in my flock.

I used permetheryn to treat mites. Previous to dusting they had some red mites so that's why I dusted. I'm afraid to worm her because of how weak she is ? Should I still try though? I'm not seeing any kind of mites or lice now, and her poop seems a littlerunny , no consistency, which wouldbe due to not eat ing im sure? She's definitely not laying but she doesn't have much of a molt going on, it's probably 1 spot on her neck that's maybethe size , around, a kiwi? It's barely noticeable? So I don't know if that would be considered an actual molt? I only have about 5 that are full molting, the other 25 aren't.. Yet lol. But I guess I just don't know what to do? I feel she's just suffering and I'm just being dumb?

All of this came on before I dusted for mites. So if she's anemic and won't eat his do you get her to?
Should I try to give her a warm bath?
Should I be worried at all?!

I don't want to lose her :(

I agree something is wrong,always trust your instincts. Is a vet a possibility for a fecal test to rule out worms? How old is she? Have you recently introduced any new birds? How long has she been like this? There are many causes for a cease or decrease in egg laying,a few are: change of seasons(decrease in daylight,decrease in egg production),molting.illness/injury.

Is her abdomen swollen or hard,is vent area swollen? Never a good idea to bathe an ill or stressed bird.

There are many issues that can have these symptoms,some are: parasites(external/internal),coccidiosis,reproductive issues,bacterial infections,crop issues,ovarian cancer,the list is long. You could try deworming her and see if she improves,

How old is your RIR?
She could be in a mini molt which would explain some of the things you're seeing. I agree with Ten Chicks, take a fecal sample to a vet and you'll find out if it's worms or not. It's not a good idea to worm birds during molt due to the stress it causes on birds, no need to add more stress on her system. However if it is worms, I recommend using valbazen. In the meantime, feed her a mixture of buttermilk, scrambled egg in her feed to make a mash for her to eat for about 4 or 5 days and see if there's improvement. Dont forget to get a fecal test.done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom