Tried Fermented Method

HenHouse Henry

Songster
Dec 2, 2020
Everett Washington
I decided to try fermenting my layer pellets now that I am retired and have the time.
by-the-way it really takes no time at all. I use a gallon jar, fill it about 1/3 full with the layer feed, and enough water (distilled or let water sit for a day to get rid of the chlorine) to cover it by an inch or so. I leave it in my kitchen on the floor, stir it a couple of times a day. Add enough water to keep it covered. Loosely cover the jar. In three days it was bubbling and smelled kinda wet sweet not quite sour. I use a small sieve with a handle, let it drain back into the jar, and plop it into a small tin dish. I throw a small handful of oats on it. They eat it up pretty fast. I then put a scoop of pellets back in the jar. The fermentation is all ready to go, so you can go a while before starting a new batch. I go a week to 10 days before starting a new batch. I was surprised how much they like it. It's less wasteful they don't scratch it. They like it on the soupy side. I like this method. I can add their crushed chili flakes to it. I sometimes add dried oregano, garlic, marigold leaves, BSF larvae, or other treats to it. This way I know they get the benefits of the herbs. It really does not smell, that seems to be the biggest concern.

I go a week to 10 days before starting a new batch.
Why do you start a new batch?
This is my Flock Raiser ferment. It's been cooking for just over a year now.
IMG_20220220_192259752_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220220_192246480_HDR.jpg

I pour half out into a bowl and add enough dry to get the consistency good for feeding. Then add more dry and water to the ferment, mix it up really well and let it bubble away until the next morning and do it again.

2x @DobieLover ... I feed FR (crumbles/pellets) never had to restart my batch. I just add everyday (ratio 1:1) keeping at a consistency of oatmeal. I have couple of WTB with muffs/beards, any wetter they make a mess. Having only 3 egg layers & recently added a Serama (in house) I make about 1 - 1.5 cups per day.

Attachments

• FFR:1.jpg
    FFR:1.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 6
  • FFR:2.jpg
    FFR:2.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 3000064View attachment 3000067
I pour half out into a bowl and add enough dry to get the consistency good for feeding. Then add more dry and water to the ferment, mix it up really well and let it bubble away until the next morning and do it again.
I am kinda new at the fermenting thing. I will go longer a little at a time. I see a lot of fails and didn't want to push my luck. The girls do like it. Going to add to my flock this year, looking if anyone ferments chick starter. Happy Chickens!

I see a lot of fails
A lot of the "fails" pictures I've seen were not fails. People thought they were. It was just the normal bacterial film that forms during fermentation.
looking if anyone ferments chick starter
All my birds have eaten fermented feed from the moment they arrived here or been hatched here. Yes, you can ferment chick starter.

View attachment 3000064View attachment 3000067
Do you just "start" it like starting sourdough yeast, with wild yeasts in air? Or do you add vinegar or yeast? thanks!

Do you just "start" it like starting sourdough yeast, with wild yeasts in air? Or do you add vinegar or yeast? thanks!
You can do it with what's in the air, yes. Just like sourdough starter.
If you have active sourdough starter, you can throw in some of that.
If you have live yogurt cultures, you can throw in some of that.
If you have kombucha or kefir, you can throw in some of that.
If you have ACV with the "mother", you can throw in some of that.

The point is that you are innoculating the feed with a known good culture, in the expectation that its greater number initially will help it to keep potential bad from colonizing. If you have ACV without the mother and throw it in, all you are doing is acidifying the mix - which helps select for certain acid-loving things, but makes no guarantee whatever about whether they are the ones desired.

and anyone doing this the first time should google "KAHM", which is what many first time fermenters will mistake for a problem ferment - particularly if they live in an environment like mine.

and if you have a bottle conditioned beer with live yeast "sludge" at the bottom? First, I commend you on your choice in beer, and second, that's wrong. Finish your beer and go look for something else to use. You wan't lactobaccilus in your ferment - makes lactic acid. NOT brewer's yeast, which makes alcohol.

I just add water until it's soupy leaving plenty of room for expansion. Lightly cover and stir a couple of times a day. When bubbles start to form, it's fermenting. When I started this batch I let it "cook" for three days before pouring out half the contents to make the first feeding. Then just continue to add dry and water each morning and stir. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom