Tried to add something cool and the girls hate it

Our Brahma/Langshan flock has been "emotional" since spring started. It feels like it's somehow connected to the season. They normally roll with things, but not lately.

My mom sent a little rocking perch to entertain them on rainy days. Talk about no good deed. Moments after setting it gently in their midst, I was dodging 7 flying bowling balls in a frenzied, mass migration away from the rocking spawn of satan.

It sat on the far side of the yard for a week with treats all over it. Only the most adventurous chickens would even look at it, so I finally brought it in. We'll have to try again when everyone's not so emo. I'm hoping they'll chill out again when the weather warms up.

For their next act, they ferrreaked out when DH drove the tractor by their yard yesterday. Head hen even flew into the side of the coop and cracked the tip of her beak :( She's going to be fine, but it's lucky it wasn't worse. Usually they toddle after heavy machinery for all the grass clippings and bugs stirred up, so the reaction was very unexpected.

I sat with them and handed out treats until they calmed down as DH finished the work. Evidently that was the ticket, or they were tired from their shenanigans yesterday, because today they came up to dustbathe right next to us when we had power tools going :idunno

Today I noticed one of my neighbours having a tree cut down. I joyfully walked over and asked if I could have a section of the stump to put in my coop for the girls to climb on and add a little something new to break up possible boredom.

Well, you would think I put a bag of snakes and a couple of hawks in there with them!

I was afraid for awhile they were going to hurt themselves or each other trying to fly through the hardware cloth to get out. They cower on the other end of their run and have been screaming ever since. Will see if they accept it in the morning and if not, guess I have to pull it out. Sheesh! No good deed goes unpunished.

Today I noticed one of my neighbours having a tree cut down. I joyfully walked over and asked if I could have a section of the stump to put in my coop for the girls to climb on and add a little something new to break up possible boredom.

Well, you would think I put a bag of snakes and a couple of hawks in there with them!

I was afraid for awhile they were going to hurt themselves or each other trying to fly through the hardware cloth to get out. They cower on the other end of their run and have been screaming ever since. Will see if they accept it in the morning and if not, guess I have to pull it out. Sheesh! No good deed goes unpunished.
I'm stumped as to what to suggest🤔

I have hyper chickens myself! When i want to introduce them to new stimuli ie: new toys ,perches ,new nesting boxes! I have to do it gradually, if its instant, they go bonkers too! Remember, #babysteps

It only takes “one” hen to “freak-out” (and let out an alert squawk to alert the others), panic, and all the rest will fallow… In the future, it is best to introduce something new, at night. When they see it in the morning, it’s like it has always been there… Chickens are real creatures of habit and don’t like new or changes…
Good Luck,
+Blessings

Mine did that because it snowed, I live in Wisconsin where we have snow from October to march most years. Tryed all sorts of treats, eventually took some old wooden boards and made them a path on top of the snow. Hopefully next year will be better.:fl

Is it shaped like a bear?

Back
Top Bottom