Trigger or Spring Feeders

This sounds like a better and easier solution than building a treadle feeder. My main problem is little mice. Does anyone know if mice can operate it?

This sounds like a better and easier solution than building a treadle feeder. My main problem is little mice. Does anyone know if mice can operate it?

No problem with that here, buy I think we made our hole too big as the sparrows will take turns hanging onto the bolt and swinging monkey style to get extra pellets to fall out for themselves! It's better than a ground feeder by a long shot and won't be a problem when I get the run covered over.

Anyone have ideas on how to optimize their trigger feeder? It seems to be too hard for the girls to get enough food out. I have a Trigger Happy Chickens trigger in the bottom of a bucket, with a pellet/seed mix that the girls love. They come running when I wiggle the trigger back and forth, but seem to only be able to peck out limited amounts on their own. Sometimes they bypass the trigger and peck it out from the hole. I've made the hole wider once and will try widening it more.

But wanted to check to see if anyone had overcome such issues. Perhaps it would work better with pure pellets....

It's such a great feeding approach, I really want to make it work and throw up a barrier to the most annoying flock of crowned sparrows known to mankind....

Back
Top Bottom