Trimming feathers leading to them molting?

Henhouse Harry

Hatching
Aug 3, 2017
This is my first winter with chickens and so far things have gone fine. One of our hens is an Orpington with a very fluffy butt, which leads to the need to clean poop off of the feathers. My wife and I trimmed some to cut out the poop a while back, and reduce the feathers in the way that might catch more.

Today, I realized that a lot of the feathers below that bird's butt have come out!!! She has an awful lot of exposed skin for getting thru a Chicago winter. :-(

First off, I'm wondering if this is just molting or if it's related to us trimming feathers.

Second, I'm not sure what to do to protect that skin thru the winter now that it's bare. Looking around the site, it seems I shouldn't worry about the bare skin but should add protein to her diet to help the new feather production. Though knowing if this is a molt or something else would help for piece of mind.

The Orp was born last April. She's one of four birds in a coop with plenty of room. I haven't noticed anyone pulling feathers from her butt, but maybe I need to spend more time out there.

Attachments

• PeckySue_bareButt.jpg
    PeckySue_bareButt.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Actually, there aren't many feathers lying around. And there should be more as I recall some big ones that aren't there now. I suppose this might not be a new thing, but I don't recall any feather explosion in the last month either. I found suggestions that the birds might eat them for protein. The layer food I give them should cover their needs but I can give them more protein.

Last edited:
The Orp is 9 months old. Still laying and laid an egg just yesterday, unless it's from the other Orp who hasn't started laying yet as far as I knew.

Generally when most chickens are molting their skin is just light flesh colored. It isn't red or inflamed looking like the photo you posted.

I would check for lice or mites on the bird and in the coop then either isolate this bird until you figure out who's been biting her on the heiney or get her covered up ASAP with some bluekote spray before she gets seriously injured.

Looks more like pecking of feathers. Also id do as the Above comment said. Something must be irritating your chicken to cause this.

I agree that something is irritating the skin. It could be pecking, or it could be parasites.

Another reason for red skin and feather loss is vent gleet burning the skin. If she has constant drip of whitish poop, the acids may be what's causing the feather loss and skin irritation. Giving probiotics can help reestablish good flora again in her gut and maybe clear up the acid poop. Meanwhile, frequent bathing in Epasom salt to remove the poop will help heal her skin. Use the Vetericyn on the skin after and in between bathing.

Actually, there aren't many feathers lying around. And there should be more as I recall some big ones that aren't there now. I suppose this might not be a new thing, but I don't recall any feather explosion in the last month either. I found suggestions that the birds might eat them for protein. The layer food I give them should cover their needs but I can give them more protein.
They could be eating feathers. Have you witnessed any whether picking off a bird or off the floor/ground? If you have, get them some animal protein soon.
Layer feed is fine when all is well and birds are actively building egg shells. However, when there are issues, the protein likely isn't adequate. Most layer feeds are 16% crude protein. Since they are vegetable based, those ingredients are low in some essential amino acids. During the manufacturing process the feed mill adds lysine and methionine in synthetic form to compensate for the limiting amino acid concept.

Last edited:
My wife and I looked at the hen's feathers today and found no signs of lice along the shafts. Nor was there evidence of any poop on the skin. Her vent was clean too. We did notice that the feathers are missing partway under her as well. I'm inclined to think the redness is because of the cold weather, as the skin looks properly pink where the feathers are still covering it.

We intend to give her a D.E. and wood ash bath in case we missed anything crawling around. And I'm gonna get some mealworms to up all the girls' protein. I gave them some BOSS today and yesterday for that. The only other thing different of late, routine-wise, was my wife giving them a little beef suet.

I watched the birds for about 15 minutes and didn't see anyone hassling her. Our Ameraucana did peck her once on her butt, but that could be because of the redness. Or that could be my feather picking culprit. That one likes to sit on the roost bar with her head stuffed under one of the Orps, which could explain the missing chest feathers. I'll have to watch them on the bar and see how the others treat her.

Back
Top Bottom