Trimming Nails?

ChickensXOXO

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
The Carolinas
I bought a new hen today from my neighbor. He got her from a Fowl Auction awhile back, and she needs some TLC. She has a touch of scaly leg, and I've already rubbed some Vaseline on her legs. He said he dusted her and started treating her legs. However, her toe nails are super long. I'd like to start working on them tomorrow, but I'm a little scared, as they're crooked, long, and I don't want to hurt her. How much should I take off at a time? Should I work on it over a course of days, or just keep trimming a little during one session? Honestly, I wish I knew someone who could do this for me. Advice on the matter would be appreciated!

I would trim little bites at a time. I wouldn't do it all in one sitting. From my understanding, chickens toenails are similiar to that of a dog. They have a "quick" or blood supply inside of their nails. If you look closely enough, you can see this red blood supply. You can use dog nail trimmers to trim her nails. Be sure to cut closely enough away from the quick or else she will bleed. If she does bleed, but some cornstarch or blood stop powder on her nail.

Good Luck!

If you can see the cuticle inside the nail, go ahead and clip a few millimeters from the tip of the cuticle. If you can't see the cuticle in the nail, proceed with small clips until you're no longer comfortable clipping more. Good thing is that once she's clipped, if she's allowed to do regular chicken things like scratching around, you'll never have to do it again. If she's a spaz, consider covering her head/eyes during clipping.

Thank you both. I'll trim a little tomorrow, but I probably won't do much, so I can get comfortable with it. My other chickens free range, so they don't really need nails trimmed. Though I do cut my dogs' nails myself. Once she's able to join the others, she should have a pretty good life here.

She is stunning. Once those nails are under control she will probably feel so much better!

Thank you. She has a gentle personality too.
smile.png

DEFINITELY trim just a little at a time. If you have a super bright light, you can put her nail over the light and see the quick.

I have a very docile hen but she still hates having her nails trimmed so I wait till she's gone to roost for a few hours. I'll pull her off the roosting bar and quickly trim them. She's so sleepy that she doesn't fight. I wrap her up in a big towel to make her feel safe.

DEFINITELY trim just a little at a time. If you have a super bright light, you can put her nail over the light and see the quick.

I have a very docile hen but she still hates having her nails trimmed so I wait till she's gone to roost for a few hours. I'll pull her off the roosting bar and quickly trim them. She's so sleepy that she doesn't fight. I wrap her up in a big towel to make her feel safe.

Good tip, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom