Trimming rooster spurs

Jun 9, 2023
So yesterday I found a hidden mating injury on my hen. It's under the wing and well hidden. I've separated her to heal up and have trimmed my roosters spurs. I used a dog nail clipper and only took the very tip off. Unfortunately he still had a spot of blood and I put the styptic powder on right away.

My problem is that I need to slowly trim back his spurs to be shorter but I'm not sure how long to wait before trimming back the spurs again. The quick will recede but how long does it take? I don't mind if this is a slow process as long as it is with minimal pain to my rooster.

I use a Dremel and it is quick and painless, no bleeding nor infection as it cauterizes at the same time.

I bundle the rooster in question in a towel feet sticking out and use adhesive tape to wrap the toes together, thus preventing them to get in the way and hurt.
After cutting don't forget to take the tape off his toes.

And I trim his nails as well to prevent the hens getting bare or injured.

The whole procedure does not take more than 10 minutes.

I use a Dremel and it is quick and painless, no bleeding nor infection as it cauterizes at the same time.

I bundle the rooster in question in a towel feet sticking out and use adhesive tape to wrap the toes together, thus preventing them to get in the way and hurt.
After cutting don't forget to take the tape off his toes.

And I trim his nails as well to prevent the hens getting bare or injured.

The whole procedure does not take more than 10 minutes.
Ok I don't have that right now but that can be a goal. I wrapped him in a towel to clip the spurs and he was good. I didn't think to trim the nails too. That's a good idea.

I also use a Dremel with that disc you use to cut metal. Some people use a grinder with it to gradually take off material. To me the intention is to blunt the edge so it is not sharp. I occasionally get a drop or two of blood so the cauterizing is not always perfect but I think it helps.

A lot of complaints like yours come from people whose cockerels are too young to have much in the way or spurs. If you look at their feet how many spurs do you see? How many claws? How sharp are the claws? Spurs can cut so they need to be blunted but I think the claws are even more important. Their claws and spurs will continue to grow (the claws grow faster) and their scratching sharpens the claws so you may need to check on them.

With mine I usually just need to do this with a few cockerels about the time they take over as flock master. I don't do it with most, no need. When I do once is usually enough. They seem to learn better technique as they mature so they stop taking the feathers off to where there are bare patches.

I also use a Dremel with that disc you use to cut metal. Some people use a grinder with it to gradually take off material. To me the intention is to blunt the edge so it is not sharp. I occasionally get a drop or two of blood so the cauterizing is not always perfect but I think it helps.

A lot of complaints like yours come from people whose cockerels are too young to have much in the way or spurs. If you look at their feet how many spurs do you see? How many claws? How sharp are the claws? Spurs can cut so they need to be blunted but I think the claws are even more important. Their claws and spurs will continue to grow (the claws grow faster) and their scratching sharpens the claws so you may need to check on them.

With mine I usually just need to do this with a few cockerels about the time they take over as flock master. I don't do it with most, no need. When I do once is usually enough. They seem to learn better technique as they mature so they stop taking the feathers off to where there are bare patches.
This photo is where the injury is.. it's under the wing. Looks like spur rubbing. This rooster is 9 months old. My first rooster seemed to have perfect technique right from the start and never injured the hens. This rooster I have now is bigger and more clumsy. He does his best. I just need to protect the hens and make sure his spurs aren't too sharp. The claws too.. I will take that into account and trim his claws as well. I never even looked at his claws.. I just saw the sides of my girl and thought ok.. that is spurs.

Attachments

• IMG_20240505_072757757.jpg
    IMG_20240505_072757757.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom