TRIMMING SPURS

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have some chickens, American Game mostly, that have spurs that cause issues of one sort or another. A four year old cock has spurs that may pose a risk for hens in a breeding pen and are approaching point where his ability to ambulate is compromised. The hens are having troubles during incubation as they experience a high rate of egg breakage and poor hatch of eggs that remain. To correct I am trimming spurs. The cock's spurs will be trimmed using a hacksaw. Effort dawn at dawn when air cool and gut empty to minimize stress.

TRIMMING WITH A HACKSAW

Over-sized spur approaching 4" long.
20180811_070842.jpg

Cut to between 0.75 and 1" from base.
20180811_070849.jpg

Hacksaw used. Ideally two people would do work to mitigate stress.
20180811_070927.jpg

Start of cutting process showing nick.
20180811_071031.jpg

After spur trimmed back. Bleeding minimal and stopped withing just a couple minutes.
20180811_071453.jpg

Both spurs shown after trimming.
20180811_071846.jpg

Trimmings showing asymmetry from combination of cutting location and differences in spurs before procedure started. Smaller closer to natural as wore closer to normal.
My son will now use the trimmings as part of his dinosaur DNA experiments.
20180811_080520.jpg

By accident, yes. Process is quicker, but I think it has a higher ouch factor for the chicken. I am not comfortable doing that for purposes of demonstration, somebody could post that process.

There is the hot potato method as well.

The remaining stub allows me to attach my preferred tie-cord and it generally bleeds least of methods i have seen. It also requires more wrestling of bird during the process so pro's and con's to all methods.

Wow, that longer one is gnarly...
....almost looks like it was maybe broken/damaged at some point?
Do you do anything to cauterize the bleeding?
Great documentation, thanks!

The longer spur was about to shed the end which would result in it looking more similar to the shorter spur. Bleeding generally not enough to justify acceleration of clotting. I have never had a bird trimmed come even close to bleeding out. Dubbing is a different story and much more stressful on birds. I will be doing that in about 90 days, but most people will not have stomach for that. To be clear, I hate dubbing as nasty too.

Dubbing is a different story and much more stressful on birds. I will be doing that in about 90 days, but most people will not have stomach for that. To be clear, I hate dubbing as nasty too
What's the purpose.....do you get cold enough there for frostbite, and its that why?

Below are images from two game hens that spurs were trimmed using a cutting shear.

The cutting shear.
20180812_104245[1].jpg
First hen.
20180812_081204.jpg
Second hen.
20180812_082354_HDR.jpg

First hen following trimming of spurs. She bled for a couple minutes stopping before I walked her straight to barn.
20180812_081428.jpg

Shears I do not like when trimming to near base. Compression can cause the spurs to shatter. Doing tips with shear I like better.

Dubbing is a different story and much more stressful on birds. I will be doing that in about 90 days, but most people will not have stomach for that. To be clear, I hate dubbing as nasty too.
Watching dubbing videos on YouTube makes my stomach churn a bit, but will you be documenting how you dub your birds? You seem to be extremely knowledgeable in your care of chickens and I would be very interested in your preferred practice and method when it comes to dubbing birds.

I am assuming all can imagine how he spurs can impact incubation success. The first hen even damaged a couple chicks resulting in death of one. Chicks got impaled on spurs when she got riled keeping another hen away from nest site. She is the mother of my first cohort of Little Edgars that were trouble in their own right a few months later.

Back
Top Bottom