Triple Checking Safe Guard Worming Dosage

maryn7

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
NE Illinois
I've got one girl coming out of molt and she's lost a lot of weight. It's likely just the molt, but figured I'd worm both my girls anyway just as a precaution.

I got the 125ml bottle of liquid Safe Guard, and I've seen the dosage instructions at 0.23ml (~1/4ml) per pound of bird (for 5 days or once and then again 10 days later for roundworms).

The dosage instructions for goats on the back says that the dosage is 0.23MG per pound of goat (2.3mls for a 100lb goat). So a 50lb goat would get almost the same dosage as my 5 lb chicken.

Do chickens just need a much larger dose per pound than goats to accomplish the worming? Since the 0.23 numbers are the same I'm just triple checking that it's milliliters per pound, and not milligrams per pound.

I wouldn't be so paranoid about hurting them if I hadn't lost my favorite bird suddenly a couple weeks ago (another reason for the worming!). Just trying to keep this tiny flock alive and healthy. Thanks!

I've got one girl coming out of molt and she's lost a lot of weight. It's likely just the molt, but figured I'd worm both my girls anyway just as a precaution.

dosage instructions at 0.23ml (~1/4ml) per pound of bird (for 5 days or once and then again 10 days later for roundworms).
The dose for Fenbendazole you found for poultry is correct.

0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days for Roundworms Only.

0.23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row to treat most worms that chickens have except for Tapeworms.

Fenbendazole shouldn't be given to molting birds since it can damage their feather development.

Valbazen can be used if you wish. Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

It's best to get a fecal float to confirm whether worms are an issue, this way you don't treat unnecessarily.

The dose for Fenbendazole you found for poultry is correct.

0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days for Roundworms Only.

0.23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row to treat most worms that chickens have except for Tapeworms.

Fenbendazole shouldn't be given to molting birds since it can damage their feather development.

Valbazen can be used if you wish. Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

It's best to get a fecal float to confirm whether worms are an issue, this way you don't treat unnecessarily.
To clear things up if you are treating all worms as well as round worms do you deworm from day 1-5 then again on day 10. Or does worming 1-5 cover all worms including roundworms?

To clear things up if you are treating all worms as well as round worms do you deworm from day 1-5 then again on day 10. Or does worming 1-5 cover all worms including roundworms?
Giving for 5 days in a row would treat most worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworms. No repeat when giving for 5 days.

The reason it sometimes says to give a second dose in 5 OR 10 days is because the drug does NOT kill the worm eggs, so depending on the life cycle of the worm the number of days coincides with the time it takes for any worm eggs remaining in the bird to hatch, so you are killing the larvae, otherwise these eggs could hatch and reinfest your bird(s). If you are killing multiple types of worms, then go with the latest number of days. With ivermectin you only treat once because it stays in their system for 30 days.

Ivermectin according to many has lost it’s effectiveness against worms in poultry. It may help with lice, mites, or scaly leg and face mites. It requires a long egg withdrawal time. I use Valbazen with the dosage above, and many use SafeGuard. Both are suspensions, safe, have to be given orally to each chicken, and have a 14 day egg withdrawal time for any concerned about that.

Ivermectin according to many has lost it’s effectiveness against worms in poultry. It may help with lice, mites, or scaly leg and face mites. It requires a long egg withdrawal time. I use Valbazen with the dosage above, and many use SafeGuard. Both are suspensions, safe, have to be given orally to each chicken, and have a 14 day egg withdrawal time for any concerned about that.
NOT true. problem is that most people are fools. They "think" that Ivermectin will kill all type of worms, when it only affects 3 kinds in poultry. One of the peafowl websites claims it will kill all worms in peafowl. It this this kind of misinformation that leads to deaths of birds from worm types that are NOT killed by Ivermectin and leads to the false conclusion that it is no longer effective. A lot of that misinformation is coming from the administrators of these forums themselves, because their information comes from opinion or hearsay that they then repeat. Valbazen, Pancur, and Safeguard are different than Ivermectin and will kill those worms that Ivermectin won't. Another problem is relying on vets to give you accurate information, when the majority of vets know very little about the drugs they dispense or how to perform fecal checks correctly. Lastly, Ivermectin comes from a soil bacteria and it effects the worms in a specific way that these worms cannot become immune to. Similar to how BT (Bacillus thuringiensis), which is also a soil bacteria, works, when ingested by caterpillars, it destroys their gut and they die of starvation. One more problem is that when used in too small of a dose, all of these treatments will be far less effective and if the follow up dosage isn't used, then the life cycle is not broken and the birds are more likely to become reinfected faster.

Here is one of the best and complete sources I have seen yet -- https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/how-to-deworm-chickens/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom