Trouble child and teacher at my daughter's school

I've got to agree with those who said to tell her to walk out when the teacher says 'no'. It seems like every time I turn on the tube there's another kid who committed suicide because he was being bullied. (I'd call the teacher's behaviour bullying, too.) There's always a distraught parent crying because they felt like telling the school was all they needed to do and the school didn't solve the problem. There are myriad reasons the school may not have solved the problem, so I won't even go there. What I do see happening, however, is a lot of parents who appear to be weak and impotent in the face of these bullies. Kids need to see someone stand up to these folks to feel safe and confident. I know it's easier said than done. That's why I don't have kids. I do remember being bullied quite well, however, so I am speaking from experience.

In response to finding a better school, we believed the gentle world of a Waldorf education was worth the $21K tuition for our kids, but found bullying was actually worse there than in the public school. Private schools tend to put up with more trouble from kids because their parents pay the tuition, and thus the private school staff salaries. Nothing they did about badly behaved kids (and their badly behaved parents) ever worked, and some kids even had serious injuries from the poor behavior in that school. I respectfully disagree that one could really find a school where bad behavior doesn't happen.

That being said, I'll admit it IS FUN to try new things. We tried the big bad public school and have been very happy with it. So maybe moving on and starting over is worth a try. We are blessed this particular school system has a lot of people working within it who truly care about the safety of these kids. Its not perfect, but its definitely better than the "gentle, compassionate Waldorf school". Plus, in the public school system I have found MORE lovely, gentle people who like our pet chickens. Does that say a lot for public schooling?
roll.png

Maybe its worth shopping around for? If the school really won't help at all, find other parents who are happy with their school situation and shop for those schools? But, still, I have to advocate for learning how to get along in a world where not everybody's gonna love you. Some people are downright mean, they're everywhere, we have to know how to encounter that without being mortally wounded by it. Civility's a worthwhile endeavor. The lesson comes to us whether we want it or not.

Seriously. Why do people send their kids to school? I'd like to see ONE benefit.

ONE benefit over keeping them home- at least until highschool.

I've tried every kind of school out there during my school days, and been exposed to all sorts of kids possible, and now that i am grown I know personally the results of all those different schooling methods and honestly I dont know why people continue to send their kids to school. all the "social interaction" kids get in school results in them being just not right in the head later in life, the private schooled kids are overly entitled now that theyre grown, while all the home schooled kids I know have been to ivy league colleges, married good people, and live happy decent lives. Iam not saying they all do, but more of them contribute to society in a greater measure than those from the public and private backgrounds.

Iam homeschooling my kids. And thats just what I would do if I were you.

yank her out and keep her home.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound like such a nice person who maybe doesn't feel confident when confronting the teacher. Teachers are these authority figures you know? (I am one... but I just teach theater..lol)

What is being done to your daughter is abuse and many people have told you far better than I can what to do.

I just wanted to tell you to be confident! You are right in what you want for your daughter. Watch Forest Gump and see how his mom stood up for him (not the bedroom scenes...)

I could be wrong in this... but I have felt like others knew more than me before and let them bully me. And I think maybe you are letting them bully you and your daughter.

farrier! :

Before school is out go sit in on her classes. In all honesty what they take all day to do you as a parent can cover in an hour or less!

Really? Not in my daughters class. Which I have helped with, chaperoned a field trip for, and hung out in. And I have a college education.

You will find homeschool kids in general are not nasty or age centered like public school kids. They are respectful of adults and even the little ones will sound mature and act mature compared to public schooled kids.

My daughter attends public school and is well mannered, respectful and mature for her age. She is also very well spoken. It isnt the school system. It's the PARENTING.

You may find like I did that the only thing your daughter enjoys in public school is recess! Talk to her. Maybe try homeschooling for a bit. She can always go back, the public schools like their numbers up so the money keeps coming in.

My daughter enjoys being with her friends and learning. She loves gym class. Math class. And being challenged by her teachers. She is in Kindergarten and is currently reading at the second grade level. Actually beyond that at home.
Learning everything from manners to reading to math begins AT HOME.
I do not depend on the public school system to teach her manners. She knew her letters, numbers and such LONG before she entered school. I also know some home schooled kids that are so lost in social situations that it is sad. A girl I work with is home schooled and has told me she hates it and looks forward to be at work and with her friends.

To each their own. But school, no matter public, private or at home is only as good as the parents and the childs life at home.​

Why do people send their kids to school?

Because they're not on the dole, girlfriend. They're financially supporting their families, and in this economy are feeling lucky to do so. Dare we ask, who's paying for the homeschooling mom's food/housing/electricity/water/sewer/gas/transportation/root canals/children's healthcare/chicken supplies? If only those things were as readily available to ALL parents who wished to provide homeschool education...Wouldn't that be great? Many Americans have no such support. Those who have it are blessed, not smarter, not better.

Have a little more faith. Plenty of Ivy League, decently married folk have come out of public schools. Our kids can,too.

I still hope to know what a lavender chicken looks like:rolleyes:

Quote:
wow.. talk about judgmental.

I went to a private school and do not feel entitled. My daughter goes to a public school and is well mannered and smart. Why? Because my mom was/is a darn great mom I am raising my daughter the same way.
I sat and read to her every night. I played with her every day. I taught and still teach her daily.
Again. It begins at home. You could send your kid to the best school out there. Or keep them home. And still get a kid that is "just not right in the head later in life" if the parenting was lack luster or the kid saw and heard things he/she should have.

You need to be advocates for your kids and yourselves everywhere in life.

BTW - benefit of "school"
Learning how to deal with situations/personalities that you will inevitably HAVE to deal with in life

6chickens in St. Charles :

Why do people send their kids to school?

Because they're not on the dole, girlfriend. They're financially supporting their families, and in this economy are feeling lucky to do so. Dare we ask, who's paying for the homeschooling mom's food/housing/electricity/water/sewer/gas/transportation/root canals/children's healthcare/chicken supplies? If only those things were as readily available to ALL parents who wished to provide homeschool education...Wouldn't that be great? Many Americans have no such support. Those who have it are blessed, not smarter, not better.

Have a little more faith. Plenty of Ivy League, decently married folk have come out of public schools. Our kids can,too.

I still hope to know what a lavender chicken looks like:rolleyes:

This is the main reason why I can not home school my daughter. My hubby has some college education and I have my GED but Im starting work here soon. We will both be working at the same time. Its took me a while to find a job that pays well enough and is at the right hours of the day to work around our scheduals while also being around for my kids enough to my likeing. I dont want a baby sitter to raise them. Or a day care for that matter. So I tried my best to get a job where I would work while they were at school and then be home by the time they got home or close to it. I would rather them not have a baby sitter for more then 1 or 2 hours a day after school.​

I smell a fight comeing on , everyone to youre coners and count to 10 .
There is no reason to point fingers and say this is what it is period end of story and youre wrong to think other wise.
All home school moms dont live off other people to stay home and home school there kids , all public schools are not horrible , we are all allowed our opinions.
I want to home school my son as even going to preschool he has learned many um un nice things from his fellow monsters. weather or not Ill be able to home shcool at some point is up in the air .
I was phyically and emotionally abused by a teatcher and had major issues all thru school but I have had some wonder full teatchers as well .
You have to be an advocate for youre child but you cant always butt heads with a teacher and assume they have negative agendas ether , if she has that hard a time controlling her bladder you might want to send her in some pull ups or some such to help when she cant get to the bathroom in time as well as going talking to the teacher and going above her if you have to.

Back
Top Bottom