Trouble getting ban chickens to stop crying

Chickeyd

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2018
I just got two baby chickens and they won’t stop crying , they been crying for almost all day. I don’t know what to do. The first day was all good. I don’t have a heat thingy but I’m not sure if I need them. They are still a week I think because they still haven’t got there feathers. Please help get them to stop crying

I take it from your post that there is no heat in their brooder. They are most likely cold. A heat source is a necessity until they start getting their feathers. For now, take a large towel or several. Roll them like logs and place in with them in a donut shape like a nest. Make the center hole as small as possible to fit the number of chicks you have. This will at least let them conserve body heat. They also need food and water constantly available.

Well I use a soft blanket to keep them warm I don’t have a heat source or anything
They need an external source of heat during their first few weeks as they cannot maintain their body temperature and they will chill and could die. They either need a heat lamp or heat plate. 85-90 the first week. Drop it by 5 degrees a week until you reach ambient temperatures.

okay, I'm going to post pictures of things that you need to get for your chicks. I'm assuming you're a beginner, and I really hope that you did a bit of research before getting these two chicks.

Feed
Capture.PNG
Dumor chick starter is pretty much the standard chick feed. If you live near a tractor supply, that is easy to come by.

feed.PNG and while you're out, if you come across something like these (they should be relatively small), they're ideal for young chicks i guess.
heating
heat pad.PNG or heat lamp.PNG
(left is heatpad, right is heatlamp)
You want to get one of these ASAP. I'm pretty sure they're at tractor supply, but i honestly haven't looked.
But in the meantime, use the tips above to keep your babies warm while you get them heating!!
Housing/bedding
I'm not too sure where you're housing them right now, or what you're using for bedding, but I suggest straw for bedding. If you have other hens, make sure they're separate and the hens can't reach them. Hens will see them as a threat to their status, and they could seriously injure or kill them.

I got the pictures off Google but it's always nice to have some visuals. Please keep us updated on how the chicks are doing.

Back
Top Bottom