Trouble with Ameraucanas

IndigoJaguar

Songster
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Does anyone else have trouble telling their Ameraucana's apart? They are only three months old but I was hoping to tell the cocks from the pullets by now. Seems like they are super slow developing. I want to sell my boys as soon as I can. Any hints and tips? Anyone else out there notice this? I am talking about pure Ameraucana's, not EE's, tho I did notice it with them too. I have twelve chicks all together, but I'm pretty sure two of them are boys. However I don't want to sell until I'm sure. I wish I could keep them, but I already have a grown rooster who is good with my hens and after all my bad luck with roo's, I don't want to go through the waiting period again, and then get them to a year and find out they are mean. PLUS, I am sick to death of ugly hens....with their feathers all torn out from a young roo. More than one roo would only make THAT worse.

I could tell my roosters around 8 weeks of age. I do have one that looks to be a little slower then the other two but still can tell. Mine are Wheaton.

I only have 4 of them but Mine seem to all be female and are about 2 1/2 months. I don't know why yours would be growing slow but I would say to just look for spurs.

Spurs. Ok. Hadn't thought of that. I was looking for their combs. Is there anything else I should look at? They all look the same to me. They are all black Ameraucanas.

Ok. Will try to do. It's hard to get picts of them. They are pretty wild. My other birds love me, but my A.'s....no such luck! Flighty and skittish!

Could you post pics please? I have one also and I'm not positive of his/her sex. I would love to see some pics of other Black Ameraucanas.
pop.gif

I'll try to post some. I don't have any pictures right now; will have to wait until daylight to get some.
smile.png

I worked hard to make my Ameraucanas friendly. Now, at 3 and a half weeks of age, I can't keep them off me! And I have also found it is all but impossible to sex Ameraucanas and EEs early on. 8 weeks seems about right to me but I wasn't confident until I heard them crow.

Back
Top Bottom