Trouble with chickens plucking feathers from chickens backs by the tail,who are eating

boomercd

Chirping
Sep 6, 2022
I'm having problems with my chickens picking feathers from chickens who are eating from the food ports has anyone had this problem? They they pull feathers from their back by the tail

Run is 12x24; coop is 12x12 for 22 nine months old I thought they were ok but maybe not was wondering if I have enough food ports only have 5
Sounds like enough space.

But short on enrichment.. boredome causes major behaviorial issues.

Are there cockerels in the mix? What breeds? Please describe feed routine (protein %) including treats and supplements.

Add another feeder and some line of sight blocks..(even see through ones work well, like false fence with open ends) things the other birds have walk around.

Add in like a hanging cabbage or corn on the cob.. something to attract their attention and make them jump to work off some of their pent up energy.. these are some long arse days right now.

A compost area for them to scratch through in their run.. if one isn't already there.. or plenty of mulch.. that allows for some insects to look for. Maybe a "treat" can to kick around.. sometimes I use a higher value feed stuff.. like gamebird pellets.. in order to add enrichment but not mess up nutrients. Or something close.. since I already use flock raiser.. maybe use (lower valued) layer pellets.

I haven't used port type feeders.. but having raised other animals.. and foreseeing this issue.. also having had a fairly large flock.. means things are a bit different than smaller flocks.. in some ways more easilly manageable.. in other ways.. WAY more things will be seen.

With my larger flock (82+) open trough style feeders made for ZERO pecking order problems at the feeder stations. Since the general recommendation for lay boxes is 1 box for every 3-5 birds.. what I can tell you is competition for feeding stations is higher than that. So I do believe adding more feeding stations would be *possibly* the firsst place I would start.

There's no way 5 ports would work for me with that size group NOT even as chicks before some pecking order was even established. Which is good time to point out that recommendations and numbers are a good starting place.. but never account for individual set up and flock personalities.. So if something doesn't seem to be working for you.. then definitely consider how to adjust it so it can.

Other quick thoughts on enrichment.. mover the feeders around to a new location and mess with some stuff so they have something new to explore, add in a chair, remove a chair, hang a bright and colorfiul polka dotted picture for them to peck at, swap it with something new. Make no mistakes.. boredom breeds mischief!

Last suggestion.. find the picking culprits and add pinless peepers on them. Bad habits are hard to break.. hopefully it isn't full on habit yet and making some moderate changes will drastically and rapidly improve the situation! :fl

Last edited:
How big is their run and do they free range?
Run is 12x24 coop is 12 x12 I have 22 chickens
Sounds like enough space.

But short on enrichment.. boredome causes major behaviorial issues.

Are there cockerels in the mix? What breeds? Please describe feed routine (protein %) including treats and supplements.

Add another feeder and some line of sight blocks..(even see through ones work well, like false fence with open ends) things the other birds have walk around.

Add in like a hanging cabbage or corn on the cob.. something to attract their attention and make them jump to work off some of their pent up energy.. these are some long arse days right now.

A compost area for them to scratch through in their run.. if one isn't already there.. or plenty of mulch.. that allows for some insects to look for. Maybe a "treat" can to kick around.. sometimes I use a higher value feed stuff.. like gamebird pellets.. in order to add enrichment but not mess up nutrients. Or something close.. since I already use flock raiser.. maybe use (lower valued) layer pellets.

I haven't used port type feeders.. but having raised other animals.. and foreseeing this issue.. also having had a fairly large flock.. means things are a bit different than smaller flocks.. in some ways more easilly manageable.. in other ways.. WAY more things will be seen.

With my larger flock (82+) open trough style feeders made for ZERO pecking order problems at the feeder stations. Since the general recommendation for lay boxes is 1 box for every 3-5 birds.. what I can tell you is competition for feeding stations is higher than that. So I do believe adding more feeding stations would be *possibly* the firsst place I would start.

There's no way 5 ports would work for me with that size group NOT even as chicks before some pecking order was even established. Which is good time to point out that recommendations and numbers are a good starting place.. but never account for individual set up and flock personalities.. So if something doesn't seem to be working for you.. then definitely consider how to adjust it so it can.

Other quick thoughts on enrichment.. mover the feeders around to a new location and mess with some stuff so they have something new to explore, add in a chair, remove a chair, hang a bright and colorfiul polka dotted picture for them to peck at, swap it with something new. Make no mistakes.. boredom breeds mischief!

Last suggestion.. find the picking culprits and add pinless peepers on them. Bad habits are hard to break.. hopefully it isn;t full on habit yet and making some moderate changes will drastically and rapidly improve the situation! :fl
Thanks so much I have swings and ladders to climb on cabbage net, mirrors xylophone but haven't moved them around in a while I will do that and add more feeders hope it.helps thanks again

Back
Top Bottom