Trouble with mama hen

gloryboundred

Hatching
Jun 21, 2021
I have a Buff Orphingten Hen that was broody. I let her hatch 2 eggs. All was well while the babies were small. Now they are around 14 weeks and doing there own thing. My Rooster will not accept the hen back. I haven't seen him mate with her. He goes over, she goes down in submission, then he just pecks and kicks her. This has been going on about 3 weeks now. He won't let her or the babies eat with the rest of the flock. Will this ever change? Is there anything I can do? BTW I have 4 other hens. The babies are one Roo and 1 hen.
TIA

Do the other hens chase her away from the feeder, as well? Do you have an enclosed run and a safe place outside the run for your rooster to spend the day?

This would decrease his influence over the flock and how this reintegrating hen is treated. It would give her self confidence after a few weeks of not having to endure the rooster's abuse, and then maybe she would be able to stand up to him when he returns.

There is a real danger she could starve if this is allowed to continue. You do need to intervene.

Do the other hens chase her away from the feeder, as well? Do you have an enclosed run and a safe place outside the run for your rooster to spend the day?

This would decrease his influence over the flock and how this reintegrating hen is treated. It would give her self confidence after a few weeks of not having to endure the rooster's abuse, and then maybe she would be able to stand up to him when he returns.

There is a real danger she could starve if this is allowed to continue. You do need to intervene.
Thank you for your reply.
The only hen that bothers her is the roosters favorite.
I have thought about boxing him up but we currently have a nest of Hawks across the street. I have already lost one hen to it and the neighbor has lost many. We recently put out movable owls to try to discourage this. He really is a good source of protection when my hens are free ranging. ( the one that we lost was very much a loner and often left his safety)
She doesn't go without eating I make sure of that. She is my favorite and daily comes in for special snacks.😊
I will try to find a place for him away from them in their cage for safety. Again thank you

I have a Buff Orphingten Hen that was broody. I let her hatch 2 eggs. All was well while the babies were small. Now they are around 14 weeks and doing there own thing. My Rooster will not accept the hen back. I haven't seen him mate with her. He goes over, she goes down in submission, then he just pecks and kicks her. This has been going on about 3 weeks now. He won't let her or the babies eat with the rest of the flock. Will this ever change? Is there anything I can do? BTW I have 4 other hens. The babies are one Roo and 1 hen.
TIA
In my book, this is not a normal behaviour. He should woo her and welcome her back, at least a normal and social rooster would.

The situation as described with the hawks' nest right in your neighbourhood calls for a protective rooster, but abusing the hen is no protection at all.
On the contrary: his behaviour is dangerous not only for the abused hen and her chicks, but also for the other hens left alone while he is busy attacking the ex-broody and chasing them from the feed.

I do not tolerate roosters that abuse hens or run chicks from the feed etc., just caring for their one favourite hen.
These anti-social characters all end in my freezer, as there are lots of well mannered and protective roosters, that will treat their hens with respect and care for the chicks with no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom