Trouble with Winter Water Set Up

For all who have chimed in, thank you so much!!
I bought a new de iced, But it turned out to be a bad extension cord or I should say the cord was not put together properly by my electrician. I had bought a 100 ft outdoor very heavy duty cable. And both end caps as well. The cable is about a 3/4” thick in diameter so I had my friend ( who’s an electrician assemble it for me. ( kinda screwed up the first time) He finally came back to look at it. It’s properly connected now and all is working well. I did also add the heat lamp on a timer about 15” above it goes on at night and off before the birds come out. All seems ok now! Fresh water is flowing!

For all who have chimed in, thank you so much!!
I bought a new de iced, But it turned out to be a bad extension cord or I should say the cord was not put together properly by my electrician. I had bought a 100 ft outdoor very heavy duty cable. And both end caps as well. The cable is about a 3/4” thick in diameter so I had my friend ( who’s an electrician assemble it for me. ( kinda screwed up the first time) He finally came back to look at it. It’s properly connected now and all is working well. I did also add the heat lamp on a timer about 15” above it goes on at night and off before the birds come out. All seems ok now! Fresh water is flowing!
Glad you found the problem. I'd try running it without the heat lamp.

Already broke two nipples doing this.
Curious how the nipples 'broke'.
Pics would be great.

Hey there,
nipple broke when i was unaware that the deicer was not on at all and that the whole bottom was solid ice. ironically, still defrosted in the center of the bucket. So, seeing the water moving around thru the top hole of the bucket, i was banging with a tiny hammer at the nipples, hence they unfortunately broke. (but it was only one. THe heat lamp, I will remove and see what happens.
Thanks!

I'm glad you found the problem! If that ends up failing again, you can always try my route. I'm in WI and I've pretty much given up on conventional waterers already. Instead I have a few heated pet (dog, etc) water bowls. I also have ducks, so I end up changing the water twice a day, but so far they work fine. Good luck with everything!

Glad you found the problem. I'd try running it without the heat lamp.

I agree with @aart
You shouldn't need the heat lamp, which is a possible fire hazard! If you need to keep the heat lamp, please make sure it is secured very well, even if it's off when the chickens are not around it!

Hey there,
nipple broke when i was unaware that the deicer was not on at all and that the whole bottom was solid ice. ironically, still defrosted in the center of the bucket. So, seeing the water moving around thru the top hole of the bucket, i was banging with a tiny hammer at the nipples, hence they unfortunately broke. (but it was only one. THe heat lamp, I will remove and see what happens.
Thanks!
But it was just a tiny hammer!! :gig
Sorry that just cracked me up.

Hopefully you were able to replace that nipple.

Back
Top Bottom