Trout Indian Runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zoe95423, Jun 2, 2013.

1. zoe95423

zoe95423 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Hello! I was wondering how many people on here have trout Indian runner ducks.
    A few years ago I bought eggs from someone on here, and had hatched a few. I loved those ducks and then had a fox that had snatched them up last summer ! They are so hard to find.
    I cannot post in the other poultry hatching eggs yet. So I was wondering if anybody had any eggs they are willing to sell?
    Also post pictures of the ones you have! I would love to see some :)

Thanks

2. Keystone Waterfowl

Keystone Waterfowl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Near Tulsa
    I have Trout, Blue Trout, Saxony and Brown Trout. Not sure if I will be selling eggs next spring but you can certainly check back with me then. I was first on the list for Holderread's adult runners when I got my Trout, Blue Trout and Saxony so I have some very nice birds. My brown trouts are also nice birds that you don't see very often. Similar to Blue Trout but the brown gene instead of the blue gene. My birds are starting to come out of molt so as soon as they are done I will post some pictures.

3. zoe95423

Apr 8, 2013
    Please do! I am very. Interested if you get lots of eggs, I would love to buy some!

4. AustinTXChicks

AustinTXChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2014
    Austin, Tx
    Just wanted to share how very excited I am about my brand new runners. I am protecting them like gold treasure lol. I looked everywhere for trouties and stumbled upon these beautiful babies! They will start laying come Springtime! I will be selling their eggs or ducklings (if I can manage to part with their adorablenesses). [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Gorgeous. Congrats

6. AustinTXChicks

AustinTXChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2014
    Austin, Tx
    Thank you so much! They are pretty amusing to watch, too :)))

7. zoe95423

Apr 8, 2013
    Beautiful!!!!

8. Duck Hill

Duck Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2015
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

I think my duck is a trout duck. But I'm not sure. I have another trout duck who only has a very little white on her neck. What do you all think?

9. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks more like silver appleyard or a faulted trout, which can show silver appleyard markings on the trout allele.

10. Duck Hill

Duck Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2015
    South Carolina
    Well, she does have some Silver Appleyard wing characteristics. Looking at the picture of Silver Appleyard wings in Ashton, they show that Silver Appleyards have, above the blue of the speculum, first a band of white then a band of black. No other breed shown in Ashton shares this characteristic. In the picture below, you can see that her wing does in fact show first a good band of white above the speculum and then black.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, she is a Holderread rare runner duckling, and I've never heard that he was trying to breed Appleyard runners. On the contrary, in his book he states that they do not exist - that no runner has the Restricted allele - and therefore that none of them are true Appleyards. In fact, she was born with trout colors, not Restricted duckling colors.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It is possible, though unlikely, that she has M+/MR. Although most references I have found say Restricted is always dominant, Ashton shows pictures of M+/MR ducklings that are dark in color, and it states that in their experience Restricted is not always strictly dominant. I would like to line breed her, if I can. That might shed some light on her genetic heritage!

I am so curious... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by