True Ameraucana chicks

Aggiedusty

Songster
Jan 29, 2020
So as stated just a minute ago. I only have the EEs and definitely are looking for true Ameraucana chicks or eggs even. Also any help here please would be much appreciated. I have seen Ceackle listed but not sure if they are true. My EEs were lusted Ameraucanas from NM hatchery but are of course EEs.

Try posting in your state thread. True Ameraucanas are best accessed from breeders.
Thank you . I just joined the group last night and posted on new members. Not new to chickens by any stretch but I am new and fascinated with Ameraucana breed. I did not see a state thread, but will look again with deligence .

Also any help here please would be much appreciated. I have seen Ceackle listed but not sure if they are true. My EEs were lusted Ameraucanas from NM hatchery but are of course EEs.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

There are a few hatcheries selling true Ameraucana. I do believe cackle is one My pet chicken is another off the top of my head.

They all disclose the truth about what they carry if you know how to discern it. :barnie So let me share...

Real Ameraucana will ALWAYS be sold under their variety... that is blue, black, splash, wheaten, lavender, white, etc.

Hatcheries and folks selling EE may say "not for show" or "not for 4H" or "not bred to the standard" or " a good representation of the breed" and they will NOT be addressed by their color variety.

Breeder directories from the 2 Ameraucana clubs I'm aware of...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H9Ni3gym6Cwdwn72ijwkm7e61rzpDS5H3rCi2lC2EGA/edit
http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/breedersdirectory.html
Note, seems like I read that Cackle *may* have gotten some of their genetics from John Blehm line. If gender is important, go with sexed hatchery chicks. Most breeders will NOT have that ability. Never bring grown birds from elsewhere too much disease risk to your own flock and property.

Hope this helps, best wishes finding what you're looking for. :fl

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

There are a few hatcheries selling true Ameraucana. I do believe cackle is one My pet chicken is another off the top of my head.

They all disclose the truth about what they carry if you know how to discern it. :barnie So let me share...

Real Ameraucana will ALWAYS be sold under their variety... that is blue, black, splash, wheaten, lavender, white, etc.

Hatcheries and folks selling EE may say "not for show" or "not for 4H" or "not bred to the standard" or " a good representation of the breed" and they will NOT be addressed by their color variety.

Breeder directories from the 2 Ameraucana clubs I'm aware of...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H9Ni3gym6Cwdwn72ijwkm7e61rzpDS5H3rCi2lC2EGA/edit
http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/breedersdirectory.html
Note, seems like I read that Cackle *may* have gotten some of their genetics from John Blehm line. If gender is important, go with sexed hatchery chicks. Most breeders will NOT have that ability. Never bring grown birds from elsewhere too much disease risk to your own flock and property.

Hope this helps, best wishes finding what you're looking for. :fl
You are so kind! Thank you so much. Very Much needed advise.

Cackle Hatchery better be selling true Ameraucanas because I just spent 19.95 per bird for six of them.:D
I have heard they do from many sources. Beautiful rooster you have there pictured. My hens seem to slowly remove my roosters tail feathers. Is he a color standard ?

I have heard they do from many sources. Beautiful rooster you have there pictured. My hens seem to slowly remove my roosters tail feathers. Is he a color standard ?
No, he is just your typical EE cockerel. He is a perfect cockerel in that he takes care of his girls and, most importantly, he’s not aggressive to me or my daughters.

Cackle Hatchery better be selling true Ameraucanas because I just spent 19.95 per bird for six of them.:D
Cost is also another one of those good indicators when buying from known sources...

EE *usually* in the $3 range and Ameraucana in the $18 ish+ range.

Some folks don't realize the broad range of acceptable blue "shades" that can be laid by Ameraucana... (from google)..
1580416256775.png

See photos of the variety here...
http://ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Photos
I raise (breed) bantam Ameraucana in wheaten and lavender, but blue is one of my favorite poultry colors. While black isn't my fave, it's unexpectedly beautiful. :love

Not dissing EE, I love them and their variety of plumage and personalities.

ETA: Once this posted I was piqued with curiosity about what shade my background box was... A13 ??, from what I can see. Lol! :p

Last edited:
No, he is just your typical EE cockerel. He is a perfect cockerel in that he takes care of his girls and, most importantly, he’s not aggressive to me or my daughters.
I have played with multiple crosses with mostly EE hens and roosters like Copper Sex Link, New Hampshire Red, White Laced Red Cornish and each time roosters are very good looking and hens very good layers and some eggs even a better blue than the EE hen. This rooster is from Copper Sex Link rooster on normal partridge EE hen and the rooster from that cross back on top of hen of Buff Orpington rooster x Copper Sex Link hen cross.

Attachments

• 297D85AB-D4EA-4842-8BED-765812D2FFBC.jpeg
    297D85AB-D4EA-4842-8BED-765812D2FFBC.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 7B468F9A-30C8-4E9F-ADBF-AE3D997A26D9.jpeg
    7B468F9A-30C8-4E9F-ADBF-AE3D997A26D9.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom