True Ameraucana: How many wks old to lay eggs?

I agree with you.... As I am really new to all the yays and nays of chickens. I could be wrong too but, I read whichever color they pop out the first time they lay is the color they will lay for the rest of their egg laying life. (given proper nutrition and of course age as they get older the color may fade some)

It's really good to know that it may be a few more weeks. My other 3 chickens have been laying for a month already and we were starting to wonder if Punkin (our Americauna ) had some sort of problem. We're still hoping for our first blue egg and have lights set up to keep them all laying. Our first winter with chickens is just around the corner.....

how do you tell a ee from a ameraucana
EE generally have greenish legs but sometimes yellowish and occasionally slate. They lay various colors of eggs and they don't breed true (so if you breed two that resemble each other, the offspring won't all necessarily look like the parents). EEs are a hybrid--a mix of more than one breed and are descendants of Araucanas or Ameraucanas on one side of the family. They often have beards and/or muffs, but not always. They generally have pea combs, but I've had single comb EEs.

The APA recognizes these colors in Ameraucanas: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Sliver, Wheaten and White Ameraucanas have slate grey legs. Blue Ameraucanas are to have white foot and toe pads, according to the APA. They always have beards AND muffs (but no ear tufts) and they always have pea combs.

FYI: if you ever see a chicken called an Americana, it's an EE. The spelling gives it away. A true Ameraucana is spelled like, well, how I just spelled it. =)

I have to EEs that are only about 6 weeks old. I know I have a LLLLOOOOOOOOOONNGGG wait. But, when I finally get a little color in my basket, I will be so happy!

My show bred Ameraucanas started laying at ten to eleven months of age last year. I was horrified, but since coming into lay they have been producing well. This year's EE started laying very small eggs at seventeen weeks! Huge difference. Mary

Back
Top Bottom