True Ameraucana: How many wks old to lay eggs?

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Do any of you have true ameraucanas and can tell me about how old they were when they started laying? Mine is 22 weeks and I want to know when I can start hoping for a blue egg!

Ameraucana's take a long time to start laying...30 weeks PLUS sometimes. If they lay before 28-30 weeks your doing good
big_smile.png
Hope they lay a pretty blue egg for you! Share pics and let us know when they start laying.

I bought some true Ameraucanas from Cloverleaf Farm in Canby, Oregon; they're 22-weeks old now and not even close to laying. Even my Easter Eggers have all laid late with 26-weeks being the earliest and 32-weeks the latest. (It was a lovely surprise to discover that two of my EE's lay beautiful sky-blue eggs; the rest lay various shades of blue-green).

how do you tell a ee from a ameraucana
EE generally have greenish legs but sometimes yellowish and occasionally slate. They lay various colors of eggs and they don't breed true (so if you breed two that resemble each other, the offspring won't all necessarily look like the parents). EEs are a hybrid--a mix of more than one breed and are descendants of Araucanas or Ameraucanas on one side of the family. They often have beards and/or muffs, but not always. They generally have pea combs, but I've had single comb EEs.

The APA recognizes these colors in Ameraucanas: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Sliver, Wheaten and White Ameraucanas have slate grey legs. Blue Ameraucanas are to have white foot and toe pads, according to the APA. They always have beards AND muffs (but no ear tufts) and they always have pea combs.

FYI: if you ever see a chicken called an Americana, it's an EE. The spelling gives it away. A true Ameraucana is spelled like, well, how I just spelled it. =)

True Ameraucanas come in a few colors, and do not have green legs. MMcM has had Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. The EEs tend to start laying eggs sooner, and produce better, than the purebreds. My few purebred Ameraucanas started laying at ELEVEN MONTHS of age, and produced for one year. Not so good, although they were beautiful. Mary
..and do not lay green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom