True Ameraucana: How many wks old to lay eggs?

Quote:
So I have 2 months to go yet.
thanks you!
big_smile.png

Mine are 25 weeks and 2 of the 3 just started laying. The girls are still pretty small and their eggs are small too, but in the first week I got 6 eggs! I had heard that if they reach laying age in the fall, they may not start until spring, so I wasn't hopeful about getting any blue eggs this year.

I have two Ameraucanas that began laying at about 24 weeks. They laid beautiful blue eggs until about a month ago when the days got shorter and they have both stopped laying. I added some light in my coop about a week ago and hope they will start laying again--no eggs yet tho.

I have 2 that were hatched xMay 24th and got the first egg from one of them yesterday. It has a paper thin shell that indented when I picked it up, and was not green...yet. Michael

100816_pa301555.jpg

I agree with you.... As I am really new to all the yays and nays of chickens. I could be wrong too but, I read whichever color they pop out the first time they lay is the color they will lay for the rest of their egg laying life. (given proper nutrition and of course age as they get older the color may fade some)

It's really good to know that it may be a few more weeks. My other 3 chickens have been laying for a month already and we were starting to wonder if Punkin (our Americauna ) had some sort of problem. We're still hoping for our first blue egg and have lights set up to keep them all laying. Our first winter with chickens is just around the corner.....

I have to EEs that are only about 6 weeks old. I know I have a LLLLOOOOOOOOOONNGGG wait. But, when I finally get a little color in my basket, I will be so happy!

Back
Top Bottom