True Blue Whiting info please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shortgrass, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Susieq2015

Susieq2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Upstate New York
    Very intriguing this breed is becoming for me..different than what we've seen.

2. Susieq2015

Susieq2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Upstate New York
    I'm trying to picture these guys out in the field foraging with the rest of the flock, they just look so different but I like it. Upright and slight of build. I can see them becoming adept at evading predators. Can't wait to get mine in April. So...I already have chicks coming..but BDRanch I was just curious...will you be offering up chicks and/or hatching eggs in the future?

3. BDRanch

BDRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2016
    Westcliffe, CO
    I like the auto sexing "feature" of the cream legbar along w/ the blue eggs, but now that I've learned these birds can also be auto sexed, I'm really excited!

4. troy007ramz

troy007ramz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2014
    I ordered 4 and 2 died in transit. There were other breeds as well to keep them warm. Have you had success with them so far? I'm wondering if there is a weakness in the breed.

5. BDRanch

Jan 8, 2016
    Westcliffe, CO
    Our rooster, Peyton Manning, just started breeding hens (saw him for the first time yesterday). Had sausage and eggs for dinner, and two of the eggs were fertile! So ... I'll probably start trying to incubate eggs next week. I have them for sale locally, but if they don't sell, I might consider shipping chicks and/or eggs.

As to our experience, they've been hardy. They lay like crazy (Dr Whiting said to expect 300 eggs/season). They rode in the back of our pick up truck (w/ a cap) but it was still cold. They did great -- even laid five eggs on the trip home!

6. dragonmomma

dragonmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    maine
    I have 6 ordered due to arrive late april excited to soo how they do.

7. dragonmomma

dragonmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    maine
    See* yay phone internet and small buttons.

8. BDRanch

Jan 8, 2016
    Westcliffe, CO
    We love our "Blues". We have 14 pullets and a rooster, and they are really laying , despite the fluctuating temps and shorter days. They are really beautiful birds!

9. SweetEvngBreeze

SweetEvngBreeze Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2015
    Lexington, KY
    Will anyone be selling True Blue chicks or hatching eggs anytime soon. I'm really wanting some!!

10. BDRanch

Jan 8, 2016
    Westcliffe, CO
    We just sold a dozen on ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by