True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
the article was referring to the birds Dr Whiting used. As I said,didn't know if it was accurate.
1f609.png

I discovered a breed I think I need
big_smile.png

True blue whiting? Never heard of it until I was playing with the chick selector on McMurrays... Here they are.
https://m.www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/whiting_true_blue.html

They sound intriguing, almost exactly what I'm attempting to cross myself!

Blue eggs, hardy in cold or hot weather, exellent free ranging layer.

Anyone have info or tips to share to encourage, or discourage me from adding these beauties to my free ranging flock?

TIA
smile.png
I accidently ran across the breed as well and then came here to find your post. Has anyone gotten these? I was hoping to order but they are all sold out. Let me know if anyone wants to sell any of this breed.

We have a bunch in a new incubator that went on lockdown today, but I've had a horrible time trying to keep the humidity level steady in it. S who knows? I sold four Whiting pullets and a rooster to a chicken friend of mine not far from here. She's hatched 19 babies thus far!

Are all of those chicks Whitings? Im having a bear of a time trying to figure out which ones are whitings in my order

A handful of the True Blues I received from McMurray on Wednesday. They all arrived alive and very vigorous. I also ordered a large batch of BLRW and every one of them developed pasty butt, the True Blues didn't.
Both of these breeds are in such a demand here in AK I sold every one of them.. Luckily I have anothe shipment coming for myself with a few.
smile.png

If that's what you ordered, my guess - they all are Whitings!
They come in all kinds of colors. When Dr. Whiting was developing the breed, he figured it would be fun to have lots of color choices.

If that's what you ordered, my guess - they all are Whitings!
They come in all kinds of colors.  When Dr. Whiting was developing the breed, he figured it would be fun to have lots of color choices. 

I think it's best if people stop referring to it as a 'breed' as it has no characteristics of what defines a breed, it should instead just be called a 'line' as it will avoid a lot of confusion... To be blunt they are just Dr. Whitings take on his own blue egg laying Easter Egger line...

I'm looking forward to getting mine, as I believe they have some qualities that set them apart of the run of the mill Easter Eggers being sold by other people/hatcheries those other Easter Egger lines really have no goals in mind beyond laying a colored egg...

Dr. Whiting by all accounts appears to have focused on creating a high production, good egg size, blue egg laying line and those are some qualities I would like to introduce to my own line, while I would like to focus on getting consistent plumage colors, reducing the upright stature and eventually making them auto sexing...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom