True, pure Ameraucana or Easter Egger or ???

chickenmama22

Songster
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Someone gave me this chicken and said she is a "couple months old" and a "true Ameraucana." Her comb is dark red which means older than 2 months. What do you think? I have her isolated where there are lights, but she has not laid an egg yet.

Last edited:
I think she's an Easter Egger. Her legs are a very green color and I don't think her feathers are a recognized color. Her comb is very red, I bet she's either laying or very close to it!

Thanks! I knew my BYC friends would know the truth! Yes, I think she's much older than a few months. I don't mind. I have a place for another Easter Egger in the flock -- mainly to increase the hen to roo ratio.

If I put her in a coop with a dark egg layer (Marans or Welsummer), what color eggs will the female offspring produce? Her "earlobes" are a yellowish color. I can't wait to see what color eggs she'll lay.

You can't really fault the person who gave her to you, they probably got her from a hatchery and believed that's what she was.

Thanks for the help on the egg color hdowden!
You can't really fault the person who gave her to you, they probably got her from a hatchery and believed that's what she was.

I don't blame the guy who gave her to me. True Ameraucanas are too rare around here for someone to just give one away. However, the guy ("kid" - in his early 20s?) did mention that their family had an araucana, so I thought maybe he did have access to rarer birds. He got the hen from someone else who said she was an Ameraucana. Maybe I'll have an egg from her tomorrow. One of my Golden Lakenvelder pullets laid her first egg today at 19.5 weeks! I'm so happy about that!

Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom