Truly Organic Feeding...

In order for a farm to be certified, it must be tested by the state. These test will state what percentages of all
the chemicals and minerials are present. This is a long and costly process. It is not done every year, sometimes only once. In all good faith this farmer sells his grains as certified organic. But is it? Most of the time, YES. Now, I have decided to raise a few crops of my own and I live next to this farmer. I could care less about any organic product. So up goes my crop duster to spray my crops for anything and everything. Neither of us realize the wind has blown the chemicals on his crops. Is his product still organic? Not really, but he still sells it as organic.

One man not to far from here, El Dorodo Hills, Ca. raised some crops to sell at the framer's market. He used only natural compost and no chemicals. After eating a piece of fruit from this man, someone almost died. It took over a year for them to figure out how the poison got into his fruit. It was naturally in the ground where he lived. That area of the state has a high percent of arsenic naturally in the soil. The state tested the soil at the schools for years, befor they said it was save for the kids to be there. In doing this all the produce is considered organic. Unless you add some other chemical sprays. Yes it is good to want to give your chickens the best possible feed. In my opinion regualar feed is as good as organic. In my case the cost out weighs the benefits. Since I do not have a state
certifcate to sell organic eggs, I sell them as fram fresh, for the same amount. My feed bill is 60% less. At
5000 lbs. of feed per month, it adds up fast.

The overspray issue is a big one. I could not get certified organc if my neighbors sprayed, unless I had "adequate buffers" between my pasture/field crops and his. These are judged on a case by case basis.

Fortunately, in my state where vast quantities of fruit are grown, they have criminalized the conditions you described. Overspray of pesticides or herbicdes will land you in jail and it has happened. They must be used on calm days and within the maufacturer's guildelines.

As far as certification goes, not every state does certification, and any certification organization can do your cert for you. The Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) certified products and farms as far away as Georgia. I'm in Washington, but I can have Oregon Tilth come do my certification.

As part of my Farm Plan, I have done soil testing, since certain soil ammendments can only be used when it's shown a deficiency exists (Boron and Copper for examples). The certification agency may/may not do their own soil sampling looking for prohibited products; but not necessarily.

I think a lot of people think there are tons of loopholes and fraud in the USDA organic program. There really isn't. Most people just don't know what the hell they are talking about when they begin criticizing it.

Back
Top Bottom