TRY THIS! Attracting Japanese Beetles to Pens of Chickens!

Something interesting is going on with penned juveniles chickens when the beetles are exceptionally abundant. They appear to be tasting them, rejecting most, and eating a few. Two things might be going on. First they may be tasting for nastiness to reject those that taste bad. Many of the beetles do settle on and consume toxic plants. They may also be tasting for fattiness or softer exoskeletons. I do both with crayfish so possible for the chickens.

Something interesting is going on with penned juveniles chickens when the beetles are exceptionally abundant. They appear to be tasting them, rejecting most, and eating a few. Two things might be going on. First they may be tasting for nastiness to reject those that taste bad. Many of the beetles do settle on and consume toxic plants. They may also be tasting for fattiness or softer exoskeletons. I do both with crayfish so possible for the chickens.
Hey, if they are dead when they spit them out, it's still a win.

For giggles and a departure from another thread where Japanese Beetles are to be used as a feed stuff, I put out the pheromone pieces on two elevated pens and boy are we having fun! Major bio-attractor with potential of a joke to pull on friends and others.

View attachment 1451568

Beetles coming to look like a small swarm of honey bees. Numbers high enough the chickens, most anyway, are backing away. A couple juvenile chickens are getting right in the middle of the mess. All are eating a couple have what appears to be crop fill in less than 5 minutes. Normally the chickens do not even approach feeders this time of day yet many are coming out into full sun to eat the beetles.

View attachment 1451573

Second image shows beetles landing all over where I touched my self after handling pheromones. A good joke would be to touch someone hat or other clothing after you handle the pheromone containers then walk away. Beetles if about will then swarm where you touched!
Thanks for that reminder. I haven't used beetle traps since I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom