Trying again chick identification

The other question is in relationship to what your were describing should be evident on a dominique that wasnt present. I ask because there is a black in the bunch that has white on his wings but everything else is pretty similar ( not sure about comb type i cant really tell until older )

Dominiques have white barring across the feathers, all over their body. This should be visible even in the amount of wing feathers they already have.

It is fairly common for black chicks to grow a few white feathers in their wings. Later, those feathers are usually replaced with black ones, so the chicken is entirely black at maturity. But such feathers would be entirely white, or have large patches of white, so they look different than the lines caused by the barring gene. Barred birds can also have white feathers in their wings.

The barring gene makes white lines across the feathers, no matter what other color the feathers are. So a "barred" or "cuckoo" chicken has those white lines on black feathers. "Cuckoo" just means they are not as tidy (various other genes affect this.) But the white lines can also appear on other base colors. Some of those have names (example: "crele" is white barring on a Black Breasted Red base color. Examples include Bielefelders, and Crele Old English Game Bantams.) Barring on some colors does not have a special name (example: Rhodebars have white barring on a chicken that would otherwise look like a Rhode Island Red, but I don't know of any special name for that color.)

Dominiques have white barring across the feathers, all over their body. This should be visible even in the amount of wing feathers they already have.

It is fairly common for black chicks to grow a few white feathers in their wings. Later, those feathers are usually replaced with black ones, so the chicken is entirely black at maturity. But such feathers would be entirely white, or have large patches of white, so they look different than the lines caused by the barring gene. Barred birds can also have white feathers in their wings.

The barring gene makes white lines across the feathers, no matter what other color the feathers are. So a "barred" or "cuckoo" chicken has those white lines on black feathers. "Cuckoo" just means they are not as tidy (various other genes affect this.) But the white lines can also appear on other base colors. Some of those have names (example: "crele" is white barring on a Black Breasted Red base color. Examples include Bielefelders, and Crele Old English Game Bantams.) Barring on some colors does not have a special name (example: Rhodebars have white barring on a chicken that would otherwise look like a Rhode Island Red, but I don't know of any special name for that color.)
Wow that was a much cleaner explanation. I have read and takennotes, looked at pictures and still didnt understand the difference.. that explanation was great thanks..

Thank you that explains some of my confusion about types because some stuff i am looking up is from science text and then reading theeads and short articles online and i get it.. the scientist are calling it based on genetics not appearance and the articles are probably a mix same for text depending on wheb they were written..

Back
Top Bottom